How can you evaluate the integral of cosine raised to the fifth power?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, the general method for evaluating integrals of cosine raised to a power involves using the trigonometric identity cos^n(x) = (1/2)^n * [cos((n-1)x) + cos((n+1)x)] and then using integration by parts. It is also possible to use substitution, such as u = cos(x), to simplify the integral. Special cases, such as when the power of cosine is odd, can be evaluated using the substitution u = sin(x). The limits of integration for this type of integral will vary depending on the problem. This type of integral has practical applications in areas such as physics and engineering, where it can be used to calculate work done by a force at an angle.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Evaluate the integral $$\int_0^\infty \cos\!\big(x^5\big)\, dx$$
You may express your answer in terms of the Gamma function.
-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this problem. You can read my solution below.
Consider the contour integral \[\oint_{\Gamma(R)} e^{iz^5}\, dz\] over a sector of radius $R$ in the first quadrant subtended by $\frac{\pi}{10}$. The integral along the arc of the sector is dominated by \[\int_0^{\pi/10} e^{-R^5\sin(5\theta)}\, d\theta = \int_0^{\pi/10} e^{-10R^5 \theta/\pi}\, d\theta = \frac{\pi}{10R^5}\bigl(1 - e^{-R^5}\bigr)\] which is $O(R^{-5})$ as $R \to \infty$. By Cauchy's theorem $\int_0^\infty e^{ix^5}\, dx = \lim\limits_{R\to \infty} \int_{L(R)} e^{iz^5}\, dz$ where $L(R)$ is the edge of $\Gamma(R)$ elevated $\frac{\pi}{10}$. On $L(R)$, $z = xe^{i\pi/10}$ where $0 \le x \le R$. Thus \[\lim_{R\to \infty} \int_{L(R)} e^{iz^5}\, dz = \lim_{R\to \infty} e^{i\pi/10} \int_0^R e^{i(x^5 e^{i\pi/2})}\, dx = e^{i\pi/10} \int_0^\infty e^{-x^5}\, dx = e^{i\pi/10}\, \Gamma\left(\frac{6}{5}\right)\] Comparing real parts of the equation \[\int_0^\infty e^{ix^5}\, dx = e^{i\pi/10}\Gamma\left(\frac{6}{5}\right)\] results in the solution \[\int_0^\infty \cos(x^5) = \Gamma\left(\frac{6}{5}\right) \cos\left(\frac{\pi}{10}\right)\]

Related to How can you evaluate the integral of cosine raised to the fifth power?

1. How do you solve integrals with trigonometric functions?

Integrals with trigonometric functions can be solved using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. The specific method used depends on the form of the integral and its complexity.

2. What is the general formula for evaluating integrals of trigonometric functions?

The general formula for evaluating integrals of trigonometric functions is: ∫cos^n(x) dx = (1/n)cos^(n-1)(x)sin(x) + (n-1)/n ∫cos^(n-2)(x) dx, where n is any real number.

3. Can you provide an example of evaluating an integral of cosine raised to the fifth power?

Yes, for the integral ∫cos^5(x) dx, we can use the substitution method by letting u = cos(x). This leads to du = -sin(x) dx and the integral becomes ∫u^5 (-1/ sin(x)) du. We can then use the general formula to solve the integral.

4. Are there any special cases when evaluating integrals of cosine raised to a power?

Yes, when the power is odd, we can use the trigonometric identity cos^2(x) = 1 - sin^2(x) to rewrite the integral in terms of sine. This makes it easier to solve using the substitution method. When the power is even, we can use the double angle formula cos^2(x) = (1 + cos(2x))/2 to simplify the integral.

5. How can you check if your solution for an integral of cosine raised to the fifth power is correct?

You can check your solution by taking the derivative of the integral and comparing it to the original function. If they are equal, then your solution is correct. Additionally, you can use online integral calculators or graphing calculators to verify your solution.