1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can you tell what will happen in a reaction?

1. Jul 4, 2014 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Okay, I need some guidance.

I've tried googling some answers to this question and nothing has really helped me. It's kind of a common sense question, perhaps?

However, my common sense of chemistry reactions is quite low. I am wondering if there is a trick to questions like these:

"Identify the solid formed from the reaction between Mg(NO3)2 and Na2SO4 in aqueous solution. Write ""no reaction"" if no precipitate is formed."

"Identify the solid formed from the reaction between BaS and PbNO3 in aqueous solution. Write ""no reaction"" if no precipitate is formed."

"Identify the solid formed from the reaction between MgCl2 and NH4OH in aqueous solution. Write ""no reaction"" if no precipitate is formed."

How do I go about answering these? My first step would be to write down the products and reactants in an equation, correct? But how do I KNOW if one is aq, l, g, s ?

Thanks for any tips.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you know whether given compounds are liquid, solid, or gas at room temperature don't you?

(I take it "aq" means "aqueous". I am surprised to see it in that list. "aqueous" here simply means that the reaction occurs in water. It is NOT a state of a product.)

4. Jul 4, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You find a chart like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_chart and learn it.

Look for the common factors - like "all nitrates are soluble", and so are nearly all halides, except for silver and lead.

5. Jul 4, 2014 #4

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips in the right direction. I am going to begin my studies on this solubility chart. This is what we went over in our previous class. I will learn this and should have a better understanding of things. I will post back if I am lost on something.

Thank you, kindly.

6. Jul 5, 2014 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

In using this chart, I have failed.

"Identify the solid formed from the reaction between NaCl and AgNO3 in aqueous solution. Write ""no reaction"" if no precipitate is formed."

My answer: NaNO3

I figure, the equation is as follows:

NaCl + AgNO3 ---> NaNO3 + AgCl

According to the chart NaNO3 is soluble. So that means it will dissolve in water.
    Whereas AgCl is insoluble meaning it will be the solid.

Is this the correct answer now? --> AgCl

7. Jul 5, 2014 #6
    Yes.

8. Jul 5, 2014 #7

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Excellent. It looks like I am on the right track then. Thanks for the confirmation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted