Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How certain do we have to get about a particle's position ?

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1
    i was reading brian cox's book about *the quantum universe *
    and he said something interesting
    if for instance we know that a particle exists in ΔX , then this delta has to be less than one wavelength * he did it with clocks * to know the probability of its existence somewhere else in the universe , because if it was more than one wavelength , probabilities would cancel each other out at this point that i want to know the probability of the existence of the particle at
    but i think it would make more sense if it was actually less than HALF a wavelength , because if my certainty in the position of the particle was less than half a wavelengths , then there is going to be no chance that probabilities will cancel out , right ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The basic formula is "([itex]\Delta x)(\Delta p)= h[/itex]) where [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is the uncertainty in the position, [itex]\Delta p[/itex] is the uncertainty in the momentum and "h" is "Plank's constant", about [itex]6.26\times 10^{-34}[/itex] "Joule seconds".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook