How close to the end can an 800-N person stand on a plank before it tips

  • Thread starter Thread starter gcombina
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Equilibrium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 17K views
gcombina
Messages
157
Reaction score
3
1. A horizontal, 10-m plank weighs 100 N. It rests on two supports that are placed 1.o m from each end. How close to one end can an 800-N person stand without causing the plank to tip?
 
Attachments
  • plank.png
    plank.png
    1 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi gcombina :smile:

so far how you have attempted the problem?
 
I know is a torque
that is all I know and I don't know where to start
 
Your diagram is not the most useful since it shows the person right at one of the supports. Redraw it with a bit more overhang for the person to stand on. Draw in the relevant forces. No need to draw a stick figure, just indicate the force of the weight of the person. What equations do you know for static equilibrium?
 
1. SO, I got 4 forces
F1 - W + F2 - W = 0
F1 - 100N + F2 - 800N = 0

i DONT EVEN KNOW WHY AM I DOING WHAT I AM DOING
I AM TRYING TO FIND THE DISTANCE OF THE PERSON

IM SO LOST, SORRY
 
what does the fact that the body is in static equilibrium indicate to you?
 
mmm no.
what do you know about torques in static equilibrium ?
 
I know torque = force x level arm

when a rigid body is in equilibrium then it means that the sum of torques = 0