Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How close we are as to being able to utilize nanobots?

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    Does anyone know how close we are as to being able to utilize nanobots?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2
    Re: Nanotech

There are no devices available, no industrial production of them and I haven't even seen a proof-of-concept piece. I would say that nanobots are at least 10 years away. Likely even further but 10 years is a long time and predicting future is hard enough already.
  4. Dec 15, 2008 #3

true. is there any type of nanotech out there? i think there is. also, 10 years goes by pretty fast, espicially in today's world......
  5. Dec 16, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are some pretty good reasons to believe that "autonomous" nanobots (as seen in sci-fi) are impossible, mainly because most(all?) of the designs that have been suggested so far violate the laws of thermodynamics in one way or another.
    This does not mean that e.g. some forms of "nanodelivery" systems will never be used in medicine, but there is no probably no need to worry about a "grey goo" consisting of self-replicating nanobots.
  6. Dec 16, 2008 #5

well there was a whole discussion with a board of scientists that said the technology in the book Prey by Michael Crichton was pretty plausible.....

maybe....... just maybe........
  7. Dec 17, 2008 #6

Science Advisor

People often times confuse nanotechnology with small ships that fly through our arteries blasting away plaque with laser cannons. The roots of the word simply means stuff thats really small. There is a lot of work in nanomaterials that I know of. Building nanocircuits and things like that are also becoming more common.
  8. Dec 17, 2008 #7

I know there's a company in Japan that's working on something called NASRO. which stands for Nano-sized Autonomous Semi-Robotic Organism. I hear that they're nearing completion....... maybe, who knows........
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?