How to get bulk downloads of utility patents from companies

• Thread starter icecubebeast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Utility
In summary: What are you using?The problem is that I'm not using xml file viewers. What xml file viewers would you have to use or recommend to view those files?
icecubebeast
The USPTO allows the public to access all their patents. But I want to get bulk downloads of utility patents from high tech companies, especially IBM and Samsung.

Is there a way to download bulk downloads that are easy to access? I already went to http://www.google.com/googlebooks/uspto-patents.html
and I DON'T know how to access them! Are there other bulk download of patents that I can access by pdf or doc file?

Engineering news on Phys.org
icecubebeast said:
The USPTO allows the public to access all their patents. But I want to get bulk downloads of utility patents from high tech companies, especially IBM and Samsung.

Is there a way to download bulk downloads that are easy to access? I already went to http://www.google.com/googlebooks/uspto-patents.html
and I DON'T know how to access them! Are there other bulk download of patents that I can access by pdf or doc file?

That's kind of a strange request, IMO. Why don't you just download them from the USPTO?

berkeman said:
That's kind of a strange request, IMO. Why don't you just download them from the USPTO?
I don't know how to access the files that they put the text in.

icecubebeast said:
Sorry but when I extracted the zip files, I can't access the files inside it.
They are either *.txt files or *.xml files. In either case you can use any text editor.
... unless they're too big for your editor.

What are you using?

.Scott said:
They are either *.txt files or *.xml files. In either case you can use any text editor.
... unless they're too big for your editor.

What are you using?
The problem is that I'm not using xml file viewers. What xml file viewers would you have to use or recommend to view those files? Also, is there a way to organize the text in a way that patents are separate ?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Do the patent applications include the patent grants of the same week? Its because I can't have duplicates.

1. How can I get bulk downloads of utility patents from companies?

There are a few ways to obtain bulk downloads of utility patents from companies. One option is to use the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Bulk Data Storage System, which provides access to bulk patent and trademark data for a fee. Another option is to use a third-party patent database, such as Google Patents or PatentsView, which offer bulk download options for a fee or for free.

2. Can I access bulk downloads of utility patents for free?

While some third-party patent databases offer bulk download options for free, the USPTO charges a fee for bulk data access through their Bulk Data Storage System. However, there may be other ways to access patent data for free, such as through academic institutions or public libraries.

3. What types of information can I expect to find in bulk downloads of utility patents?

Bulk downloads of utility patents typically contain patent numbers, titles, abstracts, inventors, assignees, filing dates, and other bibliographic information. They may also include full-text patent documents and images, depending on the source of the data.

4. How do I know if the bulk downloads of utility patents I am accessing are accurate and up-to-date?

The USPTO and third-party databases regularly update their bulk patent data to reflect any changes or corrections. However, it is always a good practice to verify the accuracy and currency of the data by cross-checking with other sources, such as the USPTO's Patent Application Information Retrieval (PAIR) system.

5. Are there any restrictions on how I can use bulk downloads of utility patents?

The use of bulk downloads of utility patents is subject to copyright laws and the terms and conditions set by the data providers. Generally, these downloads are intended for research and analysis purposes and are not to be used for commercial gain. It is important to carefully review the terms of use before using bulk patent data for any purpose.