1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How competitive is string theory compared to other fields?

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1
    I'm Indian and I've heard stuff that it is difficult to get into a good PhD program in the US/UK for string theory because the competition is more fierce than other fields. Furthermore,the likelihood for getting academic positions is even tougher(added to the fact that I'm from a different country) - and so was advised by some profs to go for other areas like condensed matter physics. I have a suspicion that may not be fully true.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I am guessing from your other post that you are a 1st or 2nd year undergrad, perhaps younger. That means you'll be looking for a faculty position 15 or more years from now. I can guess what the market will look like then, but it won't be a very good guess. Nobody can make a good guess that far out.

What I can say is that over the last few years, there are between 100-150 condensed matter hires per year at US PhD granting institutions. Typically, there are 0,1 or 2 string hires. (Since 2009, there have been three)

4. Oct 10, 2015 #3
    @Vanadium: Thanks for the reply - what specific granting institution are you talking about? 2-3 hires seems low enough :P

5. Oct 10, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

All of them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook