How dangerous is exposure to chromium-6?

• Thread starter Nimajneb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    toxicity
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential risks of using pastels containing hexavalent chromium, a chemical that can be toxic and potentially cause cancer. The speakers suggest wearing protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and masks while working with the pastels, and mention that regulations and precautions are in place to ensure safety.
Nimajneb
Hello! I have recently become interested in purchasing some pastels, but I realized they contain a chemical called "Hexavalent chromium" or "chromium-6". I was wondering if this actually poses a threat to my well-being, considering there is a page about it here.

P.S. This may not exactly belong in the Chemistry thread, or even this website, but I was unsure of where to look for advice about this.

Thanks,
Benjamin

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have by chance been using Sodium Dichromate at work today, which is hexavalent. It is very toxic, even when dilute, and causes cancer. So I am required to be very careful with goggles, gloves, avoiding inhalation of dust and skin contact.

Wikipedia says that leather with CR(VI) which has contact to skin may only contain 3 mg/kg in the EU. I guess there is more within pastels, so you should avoid contact. The highest risk comes with inhalation.

Yeah, and with pastels I've heard they rub off a lot of dust, so I don't know if gloves and something like a surgical mask would be enough. I really would rather not expose myself to the risk of cancer

I suppose they contain Bariumchromate, which is a yellow pigment. Bariumchromate is insoluble and therefore not as toxic as soluble chromium (VI) compounds.
However, fine powder may still be hazardous when reaching the lung, which requires very fine dust. I don't think you need gloves. If there is really a lot of fine dust, a surgical mask will be ok.

I wouldn't worry too much. Yes, Cr(VI) compounds are not something I would keep in the kitchen, at the same time they are not as nasty as they are presented to be. Standard lab precautions are perfectly enough, especially as long as you don't deal with huge amounts of the thing on a daily basis.

Besides, things are so heavily regulated these days you can be sure if the pastels containing chromium compounds were really dangerous, they would be banned and all shops selling them would be long closed by HAZMAT teams :wink:

Likes Bystander
Good point. So, what would standard lab precautions be? Gloves, mask, goggles?

Awesome. Thanks DrDru.

1. What is chromium-6 and where is it commonly found?

Chromium-6, also known as hexavalent chromium, is a chemical compound that is commonly found in industrial processes such as metal plating, textile manufacturing, and leather tanning. It can also be found in small amounts in natural sources such as rocks, soil, and volcanic ash.

2. How does exposure to chromium-6 occur?

Exposure to chromium-6 can occur through inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact with contaminated air, water, or soil. It can also be absorbed through the skin when handling products containing chromium-6.

3. What are the potential health effects of exposure to chromium-6?

Exposure to high levels of chromium-6 has been linked to various health effects, including irritation of the nose, throat, and lungs, respiratory problems, skin irritation, and increased risk of lung cancer. Long-term exposure has also been associated with damage to the liver, kidneys, and reproductive system.

4. What is the recommended exposure limit for chromium-6?

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has set a permissible exposure limit of 5 micrograms per cubic meter of air for chromium-6 in the workplace. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has also established a maximum contaminant level of 100 parts per billion for chromium-6 in drinking water.

5. How can exposure to chromium-6 be prevented?

Exposure to chromium-6 can be prevented by implementing proper safety measures in the workplace, such as using personal protective equipment, ventilation systems, and proper handling and storage of chemicals. It is also important to follow regulations and guidelines set by regulatory agencies for safe levels of chromium-6 in drinking water and other sources of exposure.