Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How dangerous is Google Desktop?

1. Feb 10, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This makes me nervous. Some of our users might download this program and unwittingly put confidential documents in a potentially vulnerable position. Anyone else got concerns about this?
    I'd really like to hear your opinions. Thanks.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1925064,00.asp

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2
    Intresting, as with the older version, just disable the options you do not want.
    In a corporate enviroment, users should not be using applications that are not in compliance with your corporate standards. As long as you are admining your desktops correctly users wont be able to install applications (dont give them admin rights!).

4. Feb 11, 2006 #3

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

..... at times it's so difficult and time consuming to stay ahead of corp admins & work around various policies :biggrin: (lucky am in a non-profit non-confidential branch though).

5. Feb 11, 2006 #4
    heh.... No need to qualify your statement :tongue:

6. Feb 11, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We are currently managing about 400 users in Active Directory. The way it is set up now is that we add them to a group to allow them to be able to install applications (but I don't have a good understanding of the policies behind this). We have to do this for practically every new user because we have proprietary applications that everyone needs to install, and then occasionally they need to install upgrades to these apps. I am curious if there is a way in AD to prohibit installation of particular applications like Google Desktop, without taking away all their installation rights. Right now, I think the solution being talked about is to communicate to everyone that they should not install Google Desktop, and to periodically scan the machines to see if anyone has it.

7. Feb 16, 2006 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I got the solution: Tell the employee's that they'll get canned if you find out they installed Google Desktop.

8. Feb 17, 2006 #7
    I fail to see any reason why you would need to allow users to install applications. In the AD you can publish or assign software. You can also "run as" on a local desktop. We use Altiris on top of AD to deploy software. The Altiris agent runs as a service on the local desktop. It allows us to install software via scripts and files shares to any desktop, without the problem of giving endusers admin rights.

XP is supposed to be a "Multiuser" OS so people should use it like one, you will find a lot less security risks if you do

9. Feb 18, 2006 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for your feedback, Anttech. Now you've got me really curious why we don't manage users' applications this way. It seems like it would be easy enough to push updates to our applications and deploy any new applications remotely. I will have to ask our IT gurus.

This is my first experience working in an organization where the users are not all software developers and database managers. I have always worked for small development companies prior to this, so there was not a lot of need for restriction. Everyone was pretty savvy. In my current situation, we have many more users who are prone to install the fun toolbars and screensavers, etc. that come loaded with spyware and adware junk and occasionally, viruses. It can be a burden when we have to clean this stuff out, and occasionally reformat machines entirely.

10. Feb 18, 2006 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It hasn't gotten quite that drastic yet, but our director did send an email out to the organization asking everyone not to install Google Desktop until IT staff has had a chance to investigate some more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?