How Deep Does a Barge Sink with 3000 Tonnes of Coal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter j_suder2
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
j_suder2
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A Mississippi river barge is 65m long and 20m wide. How far will it sink into the water when 3000 tonnes of coal is placed on it?


Homework Equations


rho=m/v, L x W = A,


The Attempt at a Solution



I figured out the area of the barge in contact with the water, then converted the tonnes to kilograms. I used this to get the volume of coal taken off. (I think that works).
I guess from here I need to use the density of water to see how much is displaced by that amount of coal, and then determine the height of water this would correspond to.
I'm stuck at this last part.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Weight of water displaced = weight of coal, which means,
Volume displaced of water (not coal) X density of water = weight of coal.

Density of water can be taken to be 1000 kg/m^3.
 
Ok so I can find the volume of water, I'm still having trouble finding the height of the displacment,
Thanks
 
Thanks,
I just had the wrong conversion from tonnes to kg's