How did Caltech's photon teleportation work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum teleportation and provides resources for further understanding. The participants mention a Wikipedia article and an experiment from the Niels Bohr Institute that demonstrate the use of quantum entanglement to transfer information between two containers of gas. The process involves emitting light particles with quantum information, reading and registering the information, and adjusting the direction of electrons to complete the teleportation.
Physics news on Phys.org
Although wikipedia is not always a reliable source, their article on "quantum teleportation" is much better than the hopeless drivel pop-sci stuff that you've been reading. Give the wikipedia article a try, and if after having read it you have more specific questions we may be able to help you over the hard spots.

I read the Wikipedia article and thought I understood, but it seems to contradict this article from the Niels Bohr Institute: (I understand I'm now talking about a later experiment, but I think it uses the same method, only changed a bit.)
http://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/news/n...n-between-atomic-systems-over-long-distances/

The part I don't get is:
The gas now emits photons (light particles) containing quantum information. The light is sent on to the other gas container and the quantum information is now read from the light and registered by a detector. The signal from the detector is sent back to the first container and the direction of the atoms’ electrons are adjusted in relation to the signal. This completes the teleportation from the second to the first container.
It sounds like the first container actually sends the (spin, right?) info and the second "updates" the other entangled particle and the teleported one.

1. How does photon teleportation work?

Photon teleportation is a process in which the quantum state of one photon is transferred to another photon without any physical connection between them. This is achieved through entanglement, where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. What is the purpose of photon teleportation?

The purpose of photon teleportation is to facilitate the transfer of information or quantum states between distant locations, which is crucial for quantum communication and computing. This technology has the potential to greatly improve the security and speed of communication channels.

3. How did Caltech's photon teleportation experiment work?

The experiment at Caltech used a technique called quantum teleportation, where the quantum state of a photon was transferred to another photon located about 3 meters away. This was achieved by entangling the two photons and then measuring the state of one, which instantaneously affected the state of the other, resulting in teleportation.

4. What are the potential applications of photon teleportation?

Photon teleportation has a wide range of potential applications, including quantum communication, quantum cryptography, and quantum computing. It could also be used for secure and efficient transfer of information in fields such as finance, healthcare, and defense.

5. Is photon teleportation possible for large distances?

Currently, photon teleportation has been achieved over distances of up to 1,400 kilometers in a laboratory setting. However, there are many challenges to overcome in order to achieve teleportation over larger distances. Some researchers believe that with advancements in technology and techniques, it may be possible to achieve teleportation over much longer distances in the future.