How did the Greeks deal with sqrt(2)?

• I
  • Thread starter musicgold
  • Start date
In summary: And in the same way, when they discussed the length of the diagonal of a square being ##\sqrt2##, they didn't say that that was the value of an irrational number; rather they said that no rational number squared would yield ##2##, so that it must be impossible to express the length of the diagonal as a fraction.In summary, the ancient Greeks were aware of irrational numbers, but they did not deal with them in the same way that we do today. They did not use decimals or decimal digits to approximate irrational numbers, but rather used geometric methods or approximations to rational numbers. They also did not consider non-integer lengths to be numbers, but rather saw them as measures that could not be expressed in terms of
musicgold
I read the story of Hippasus's proof which showed ## \sqrt {2} ## is neither a natural number nor a ratio of natural numbers and how he was drowned by the Pythagoreans for his impiety.

My question is as the Greeks did not know about decimals (until a few centuries later), how did they deal with irrational numbers when they presented themselves in their calculations and measurements.

How do you deal with a quantity that can't be represented using existing methods? Did they just drop those calculations or approximate the number?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I haven't read the text yet, but this is the subject of Book X of Euclid's Elements, the content of which is most often attributed to Theaetetus. It is the longest book in the Elements and, according to Victor Katz (author of A History of Mathematics) it is the most well-organized. You can read a translation here which includes a guide to many propositions.

I'm currently at the end of book VIII so I'll hopefully be there soon...

musicgold said:
I read the story of Hippasus's proof which showed ## \sqrt {2} ## is neither a natural number nor a ratio of natural numbers and how he was drowned by the Pythagoreans for his impiety.

My question is as the Greeks did not know about decimals (until a few centuries later), how did they deal with irrational numbers when they presented themselves in their calculations and measurements.

How do you deal with a quantity that can't be represented using existing methods? Did they just drop those calculations or approximate the number?

Thanks

The story about Hippasus is an interesting account but its historical accuracy, as far as I know, is not certain. In any case, it turns out that Greeks knew about irrational numbers - see also Zeno's paradox. Pythagoreans just didn't like the idea because it was against their philosophy that natural numbers and their ratios describe the physical laws. Now, again as far as I know, Pythagoreans indeed try to approximate the value of ##\sqrt{2}## with high precision but unsuccessfully - for instance see the relevant table that depicts their method at ancient.eu.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
musicgold said:

Thanks

Note that the OP's question is about 'dealing' with irrational numbers. There is no question that the ancient Greeks knew about irrational/incommensurable numbers.

So, if by 'deal' we mean 'approximate them for practical application' (for no one would need an exact irrational number for practical constructions or calculations) then there was no challenge for them in doing this. One method they were probably aware of for doing so was the Babylonian Method. Another method that could be used is the Euclidean Algorithm (Propositions VII.1 and VII.2 of the Elements). This algorithm finds the greatest common divisor between two numbers. When applied to incommensurable magnitudes one finds that the method does not terminate and this would provide a way to approximate the value of an irrational number. However, my understanding is that the ancient Greeks were not concerned much with calculation. They were more interested in determining rational, universal truth.

So, if by 'deal' we mean 'conceptualize the existence of' then that is what Book X of the Elements is probably a good reference for this. But, even in the earlier books of the Elements Euclid has to 'deal' with irrationals, and this is all done geometrically. For example, take the construction of the Mean Proportional between any two straight lines. Such a construction will often result in incommensurable lengths. Euclid gives a proof of this construction at least two times in the Elements (end of book II is the first appearance, with a more elegant one given later that the link above summarizes).

Likes musicgold
You seem to be working under a strangely widespread and persistent confusion about what irrational numbers are. There is nothing in the definition of irrational numbers that says anything at all about decimals or decimal digits.

DEFINITION: An irrational number is a number that is not a quotient of two integers.

For example, ##12/7## is rational since ##12## and ##7## are integers.

The most well known ancient Greek proof of the irrationality of ##\sqrt2## is this: If ##\sqrt2 = \dfrac a b## for some integers ##a,b##, where the fraction ##a/b## is in lowest terms, then at least one of ##a,b## is odd. So ##\left(\dfrac a b \right)^2 = 2##; hence ##a^2 = 2b^2##; hence ##a^2## is even; hence, being a square, ##a^2## is a multiple of ##4##; hence ##2b^2## is a multiple of ##4##; hence ##b^2## is a multiple of ##2##; hence ##b## is even. But this contradicts the fact that mentioned earlier, that at least one of them is odd. Hence the assumption that ##\sqrt2## is rational leads to a contradiction.

But the Greeks didn't consider non-integer lengths to be numbers; they didn't say that this number is irrational; rather than said the the lengths of the side and the diagonal of a square have no measure in common, i.e. no line segment would go into both of them some whole number of times.

1. What is the significance of sqrt(2) in Greek mathematics?

The square root of 2, or sqrt(2), was a significant number in Greek mathematics because it was the first irrational number to be discovered. This means that it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction and has an infinite number of digits after the decimal point. It challenged the idea that all numbers could be written as ratios of whole numbers, which was a fundamental belief in Greek mathematics.

2. How did the Greeks approximate the value of sqrt(2)?

The Greeks used a method known as the "method of exhaustion" to approximate the value of sqrt(2). This involved drawing a square with a side length of 1 unit and then drawing a diagonal line from one corner to the opposite corner. By repeatedly dividing the square into smaller and smaller squares, they were able to get closer and closer to the value of sqrt(2).

3. Did the Greeks believe that sqrt(2) was a rational or irrational number?

The Greeks were aware that sqrt(2) was an irrational number, but they did not have a formal understanding of this concept. They believed that all numbers could be expressed as ratios of whole numbers and were puzzled by the existence of numbers like sqrt(2) that could not be written in this way.

4. How did the discovery of sqrt(2) impact Greek mathematics?

The discovery of sqrt(2) had a significant impact on Greek mathematics. It challenged their belief that all numbers could be written as ratios of whole numbers and led to a greater understanding of irrational numbers. It also opened the door for further investigations into the nature of numbers and their relationships.

5. Was sqrt(2) used in practical applications by the Greeks?

While sqrt(2) was not used in practical applications by the Greeks, it was used in geometric constructions and calculations. For example, it was used to find the diagonal length of a square and to construct right angles. However, it was not used in fields such as engineering or architecture where precise calculations were necessary.