Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How did they measure the charge of electron

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    I know that a charge is discribed in terms of coulombs. But how did they know that an electron has a charge of 1.60217646 × 10-19 coulomb ? by the way , what is a coulomb exactly ? and how did they found or discribed its quantity ? I would like the answer to be in details please . Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2
    Look up the Millikan oil drop experiment.

A coulomb is exactly that amount of charge which results from a current of one Ampere flowing for one second.

4. Mar 12, 2012 #3
    you said it is " the amount of charge which results from a current of one Ampere flowing for one second " ,, what is Ampere ? and how would we find it ? ( suppose we want to calculate the charge and the magnitude of the charge is not given)

5. Mar 12, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Boody! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    The ampere (small "a" :wink:) is defined in terms of ordinary mechanical units.

From the PF Library

the amp is that current which in a pair of wires a metre apart would produce a force between them of 2 10-7 N/m​

6. Mar 12, 2012 #5
    Re: Welcome to PF!

mmmm, I see

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?