1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Did You Know What Path To Choose

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    Simple question as described in the title: How did you know what path to choose when you were getting your PhD. Specifically, what made you think to yourself "This is the project I want to be apart of" when you finally made the decision to pick your dissertation/research topic. Tell me, I want to hear your story!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2
    When I started with my adviser, he gave me two warm up projects with a postdoc in our group. The first went smoothly. In the second, I found a problem with some assumptions a former grad student and the postdoc had made. Fixing that problem took 4 years and was the majority of my thesis (I did a few smaller projects along the way).

4. Sep 28, 2012 #3
    Did you enjoy it? I don't mean it to be a stupid question- to me things of that nature aren't always obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook