1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How difficult is the maths involved in Theoretical Physics?

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    For a while now I've known that I would like to do theoretical physics, but I'm having trouble finding out how hard the maths involved actually is. I would like to study this a Trinity College, and on their website the minimum requirements are a B2 in higher level physics (no problem, I can do that), and the same in higher level maths. Problem.

Now, I'm definitely not bad at maths. I got 68% on my Christmas test, and most of those mistakes were due to me panicking in the exam situation, and when I redid the questions afterwards for homework I got them all right.

I got 85% (A2) on the physics exam though.

So, what I really need to know before I make any decisions is; how hard is the maths?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2
    imo if you are able to get yourself accepted to trinity, you are capable of doing the work . . .

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3
    The math usually isn't what makes physics hard. Some of the current theories are using very modern mathematics, so I would say the math involved can be as hard as you want it to be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook