Physics MSc vs Theoretical physics MSc

futureStudent
Hey, I got an offer from UCL for physics MSc and from KCL for theoretical physics.
I'm still waiting for answers from Edinburgh regarding theoretical physics MSc, but I wanted to ask how big of a difference choosing physics over theoretical physics is.
I'm certain I would like to do theoretical physics but I'm not sure if it matters whether to study theoretical physics MSc at Edinburgh or physics MSc at UCL or theoretical physics at KCL.
UCL is also higher in most rankings but I'm not sure how dependable those are.
I would appreciate any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Much more math is required in Theoretical Physics. Its basically being trained as an experimental/applied physicist versus a computational physicist that uses computer simulations and AI to explore new theories.

T'Hooft's website on becoming a theoretical physicist (may be somewhat dated):

https://www.goodtheorist.science/

Likes futureStudent
jedishrfu said:
Much more math is required in Theoretical Physics. Its basically being trained as an experimental/applied physicist versus a computational physicist that uses computer simulations and AI to explore new theories.

T'Hooft's website on becoming a theoretical physicist (may be somewhat dated):

https://www.goodtheorist.science/
I know his website, it's definitely nice for foundation building.
It seemed to me that the UCL's course doesn't have a particular emphasis on theory or experimental/applied physics. and there is a lot of overlap between them and KCL.
I'm working on choosing a research area as a way to help me choose between them (and Edinburgh) but it seems UCL doesn't have a lot of theoretical research done (from what I've seen until now, I could be wrong). So I'm a bit conflicted if I should go to UCL (with a better brand name and ranking but maybe weaker theoretical research) or KCL/Edinburgh (with a focus on theoretical physics but a weaker brand name and ranking).

Each of the programs should provide links to their individual curriculums. You should look them up and compare. It could be that it's quite possible to also do a theoretical stream within a generic Physics MSc based on individual course selection.

Likes jedishrfu
Where do you see yourself once you graduate with your physics PhD ?

In academia or in industry?

Your conflict is that you want the best Theoretical Physics experience hence the dilemma.

Going to KCL means you may get a deeper dive into theory which will make you a stronger theoretician.

Going to UCL means a better chance at a job in physics but not necessarily in theory.

Likes gwnorth
jedishrfu said:
Where do you see yourself once you graduate with your physics PhD ?

In academia or in industry?

Your conflict is that you want the best Theoretical Physics experience hence the dilemma.

Going to KCL means you may get a deeper dive into theory which will make you a stronger theoretician.

Going to UCL means a better chance at a job in physics but not necessarily in theory.
That might be a great way of describing this.
I hope to do theoretical research in academia, although I'm aware that it can be hard to find a job.