How do accretion disks provide evidence for black holes?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter StatusX
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Accretion Disc
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Homework Helper
Messages
2,570
Reaction score
2
I'm doing a project on accretion disks, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest something interesting relating to their observation that I could talk about. One thing I remember reading was that accretion discs are one of the most compelling means of proving the existence of black holes. Is this true, and if so, why? Thanks.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
StatusX said:
I'm doing a project on accretion disks, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest something interesting relating to their observation that I could talk about.

There are a lot of things one could talk about, particularly as concerns quasars. Could you be a bit more specific?


One thing I remember reading was that accretion discs are one of the most compelling means of proving the existence of black holes.

You may be thinking about this:

http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0107387"
 
Last edited by a moderator: