How Do Atmospheric Conditions at the Stratopause Compare to Sea Level?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MooShoo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
MooShoo
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I am studying for a midterm and I need help on 2 practice questions from the textbook which I have no idea how to start.

The first one is:
Calculate the atmospheric pressure at the stratopause. What are the concentrations (mol m-3) of dioxygen and dinitrogen at this altitude? How do these concentrations compare with the corresponding values at sea level?

I have no idea how I am able to start this question. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The second one is:
At a particular temperature, the Arrhenius parameters for the reaction:

•OH + H2 → H2O + •H

Are A = 8 x 10^10 s -1, and Ea = 42 kJ mol-1. Given that the concentration of hydroxyl in the atmosphere is 7 x 10^5 molecules cm-3 and that of H2 is 530 ppbv, calculate the rate of reaction (units of molecule cm-3 s-1) for this process.

I have tried this question with other formulas but it just always ends up with a very very large number. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, you need to show your approach to this question first, it's the policy here at PF.