Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do fields change if there's no void

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1
    If the value of a field at a point in space changes from (for simplicity) 2 to 5. Where is the space for the additional 3 found if there is already a field of x strength at every point?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2
    This is an interesting question I would like an answer to too. I am reading this:

"One of the primary roles of the vacuum state in quantum field theory has been to serve as a physically distinguished reference state with respect to which other physical states can be defined and referred."

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    roles of the vacuum state in quantum field theory has been to serve as a physically distinguished reference state

I wonder if they use vacuum state as "close enough for our purposes" and so don't really need to look at the concept of void.

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean additional space? A field does not take up any physical volume of space.

6. Nov 16, 2009 #5
    My understand is obviously limited. But, if they say space is full of fields doesn't it follow that fields occupy a space? Besides, how can something have a location if the location does take up space?

7. Nov 16, 2009 #6

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, a field does not take up a volume of space. There are no restrictions on the number or amplitude of fields in a given volume.

8. Nov 17, 2009 #7
    a field does not take up a volume of space.

This sounds counter intuitive. Is there a popular level book that talks about this?

9. Nov 17, 2009 #8
    Don't fields just run touch other fields? fields on fields.

10. Nov 17, 2009 #9

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*shrug* Any physics textbook that involves electrodynamics should explain fields. It is a basic concept of physics. Griffiths Introduction to Electrodynamics is a good text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook