How Do H3CC(=O)CH2CH3 and HCO2H Behave as Lewis Acids and Bases?

  • Thread starter Thread starter crm07149
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acid Base
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
crm07149
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Is H3CC(=O)CH2CH3 more likely to act as a Lewis Acid or Lewis Base? Explain your choice.

Same for HCO2H (formic acid)

Homework Equations


N/A

The Attempt at a Solution


Since a Lewis Base donates electron pairs, and the oxygen in H3CC(=O)CH2CH3 has two lone pairs, I reasoned that H3CC(=O)CH2CH3 is a Lewis Base.

I know HCO2H should be a Lewis Acid because it is formic acid, but I don't know how the molecule would accept an electron pair.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
crm07149 said:
I know HCO2H should be a Lewis Acid because it is formic acid, but I don't know how the molecule would accept an electron pair.
The acidic proton accepts an electron pair. This is usually followed by the proton leaving to attach to the electron pair donor.

crm07149 said:
Since a Lewis Base donates electron pairs, and the oxygen in H3CC(=O)CH2CH3 has two lone pairs, I reasoned that H3CC(=O)CH2CH3 is a Lewis Base.
This answer is fine, though I will point out that methyl ethyl ketone can also display weak acidity through keto-enol tautomerization. Essentially, the proton on the hydroxyl group in the enol form of this molecule is slightly acidic. So this molecule can actually be either a Lewis acid or a Lewis base.