How do I calculate the distance of the ∞-norm between two vectors in lR^3?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mindscrape
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinity Norm
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Mindscrape
Messages
1,854
Reaction score
1
Alright, so if I want to find the distance of the ∞-norm between two vectors in lR^3, then would I take the max of the vectors first and then subtract, or should I subtract the vectors and then take the max? I think that the vectors are subtracted, and then the norm is taken, but I just want to make sure.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have it correct: find the difference, then apply the norm. This is the definition of a normed distance (i.e., that is how you calculate the distance in any metric space where distance is defined by some norm on the space).
 
In fact, in any norm, the distance between two vectors u and v is given by ||u- v||.