How do I calculate the force of gravity on a 1-kg mass at Earth's surface?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LoveKnowledge
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gravitational
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
LoveKnowledge
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
1. Calculate the force of gravity on a 1-kg mass at Earth's surface. The mass of Earth is 6.0 x 10^24 kg, and its radius is 6.4 x 10^6 m.



2. F=G m1m2/d²



3. I am confused on how to solve this problem. I know the mass of Earth and its radius (the numbers needed to plug into the equation) but I am confused as I need to solve for the Universal Gravitational Contant as well? I am just confused with the different numbers and figures involved with this problem and would appreciate help if possible...thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gravitational constant = 6.67300 × 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2
 
How do I use the Gravitational Constant to solve this problem? For some reason it is confusing me very much...do I solve the problem in entire equational form or do I actually solve for the equations?
 
All you need to do is plug the numbers into the formula (Newton's law of gravity) and use your calculator.
 
K. This also includes the known for G (universal gravitational constant) correct? THx again...just confused on this for some reason
 
LoveKnowledge said:
K. This also includes the known for G (universal gravitational constant) correct?
Sure. The formula includes the constant G, m1, m2, and d (which is the radius of the earth). You have all those values. Time to calculate!