• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How do I calculate the potential created by a dipole

Homework Statement

I'm given that there is a positive charge of 1 nC at x=0.25 m and a negative charge of -1 nC at x=-0.25 m. I've calculated the potential created at different points along the x-axis by the positive charge and the negative charge using the formula, $$V=\frac{kq}{|r|},$$ where ##r## is the distance from the charge to the point of interest. For example the electric potential at r=5 m, due to the positive charge would be $$\frac{k*1nC}{4.75}.$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I supposed to just add the two potentials to get the electric dipole potential? How do I get the value in volts?

Answers and Replies

tnich
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I'm given that there is a positive charge of 1 nC at x=0.25 m and a negative charge of -1 nC at x=-0.25 m. I've calculated the potential created at different points along the x-axis by the positive charge and the negative charge using the formula, $$V=\frac{kq}{|r|},$$ where ##r## is the distance from the charge to the point of interest. For example the electric potential at r=5 m, due to the positive charge would be $$\frac{k*1nC}{4.75}.$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I supposed to just add the two potentials to get the electric dipole potential? How do I get the value in volts?
Yes. To get the dipole potential, find the potential at point (x,y,z) due to each charge and then add the two values together.
Your equation $$V=\frac{kq}{|r|}$$ gives potential in volts if the inputs are in SI units. How would you convert the inputs to SI units?

electrostatic potentials due to charges are scalars and can be added as numbers of course with their signs as to due to positive or negative charges.
I think it's dimension is of energy , therefore can be expressed as joule/coulomb. so you can convert it in other units using the definition.