How Do I Calculate the Potential Difference in a Capacitor with a Given Charge?

• Thread starter lettertwelve
  • Start date
In summary, the homework asks for the potential difference when the charge on the capacitor is 450.0 pC.
lettertwelve
help -- webassign due tonight -- need some help

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor has a plate area of 160 cm2 and a plate separation of 0.0400 mm.

A). Determine the capacitance.
which i got to be 3.54e-9 F

B). Determing the potential difference when the charge on the capacitor is 450.0 pC.
______V

Homework Equations

C= ɛo A/d

The Attempt at a Solution

i got part a using that equation, and i know that i should use it for part B, but I'm confused as to how to incorporate the 450pC...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you by chance go to NTHS?I have the exact same problem for my web assign except I have a 180 cm^2 and I need help getting that. For B I think you get the A answer and divide by the charge.

haha yea i do go to NTHS.

by the way what IS the charge??

Can you tell me how you got A.? for B you do C=Q/change of V, change of V you get by = -E(Change of d) because it's in a uniform electric field. The pC number, I think.
I was wrong on the previous post. it's asking for the potentical difference. I thought C, was the capacitors

Last edited:
for A you do ɛo A/d

ɛo is a constant, which is 8.85E-12
A is your centimeter number, but watch out cause it's squared so for me 160cm^2 = 160E-4

and d is your mm to meters, for me it's .04E-3

by the way i still can't get B

is the unit for potential difference in volts?

it's supposed to be in volts, but i honestly have no friggin idea what is C and Q and -E(change of d) ?

I got it! change of V = Q/C.
Q= the pC thing
C is the answer for a

Do you have
11. b/c
or
3. a/b
by any chance?

Last edited:
it worked! awesome.

did you get 3b?? the angle thing?

I have no idea on how to do any of 3

thanks anyways

Related to How Do I Calculate the Potential Difference in a Capacitor with a Given Charge?

What is "webassign" and how does it work?

"Webassign" is an online platform used by many educational institutions to assign and submit homework or assignments. It allows students to access class materials, complete assignments, and receive grades online.

What should I do if I need help with my webassign assignment due tonight?

If you are struggling with your webassign assignment and it is due tonight, the first step is to reach out to your instructor or TA for assistance. They are there to help and can provide guidance or resources to help you complete the assignment.

Can I get an extension on my webassign assignment?

This may vary depending on your institution and instructor's policies. It is best to communicate with your instructor as soon as possible if you need an extension on your webassign assignment. They may be able to offer an extension or alternative solution.

How can I prepare for webassign assignments to ensure I don't need last-minute help?

To prepare for webassign assignments, it is important to attend class, take thorough notes, and complete practice problems. Additionally, utilizing resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups can help you understand the material better and be better prepared for assignments.

Are there any resources available to help me with webassign?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with webassign, including online tutorials, help guides, and even peer tutoring services. Your institution may also have a help center or tutoring center specifically for webassign. It is always a good idea to utilize these resources if you are struggling with your assignments.