How do I calculate the radius of bound states for muonic hydrogen?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Ewok
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Hi I'm having difficulty in understanding how to calculate the radius for certain situations.

for example, I have a question that asks me to calculate the radius and binding energy of muonic hydrogen.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


my first instincts were to use and re-arrange the following formula
(Me v^2)/r = (e^2)/(4pi(r^2) epsilon)

re-arranging this to make r the focus and simply multiplying the electron mass by 207 to make it the muon mass.

I don't think this is correct however - seems a bit of a flaky way of doing it.

I do also have equations for the expectation values - which I presume to be the expected values for the location of the muon (and hence possibly the radius), but I'm unsure of how to apply these to the question.

I also have to apply this to other situations other than a straight hydrogen atom, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For "hydrogenic" atoms, you can look at how the mass of the electron came into the Bohr radius estimation, and replace with the muon...but you might notice that the analysis used the fact that the mass of the electron is much less than the proton's, so the orbital motion could be approximated by a fixed center and an electron in circular motion. Since a muon is a much heavier version of an electron, it is better to describe the muon and proton as orbiting about each other, and you use a "reduced mass".