Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i disable the auto-subscription on threads?

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

How do i disable the auto-subscription on threads??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Its in your options in hte control panel. They were fixing the forum a while back and some peoples subscriptions got switched to automatically subscribing to everything.

4. Jan 14, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Go to User cp,

edit options (on left) go to the "Messaging & Notification" section in the middle of the page, second box down - “default thread subscription mode” click “do not subscribe” in the drop down box

Then you will need to also manually "unsubscribe" to every thread you have been subscribed to up to when you make the change.

5. Jan 20, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ack, I just checked my e-mail account, and I had 575 subscription messages! Ack! I had never turned the option on myself, but it got turned on for me. :cry:

6. Jan 20, 2006 #5
    Yep, it got turned on for everyone in one of the updates.

7. Jan 20, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I wonder how many new members have gotten upset thinking they're being spammed and quit the forum?

8. Jan 20, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I worry about that too. It would put me off from a forum to sign up and immediately start getting emails before I even knew where anything was to turn it off quickly. Heaven forbid someone makes their first post in something like the Thread Killer Thread...they'll be getting emails for life! :eek:

9. Jan 23, 2006 #8

Yeah, I suddenly was getting a good 50 emails a day from PF. That's something that should really be default off I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?