How do I figure out the final position of the block?

In summary, after a long time, the center block is at rest at its initial position. This is due to the fact that the collisions are instantaneous and perfectly elastic, causing the center block to come to rest at each collision.
Chozen Juan

Homework Statement

Three blocks of identical mass are placed on a frictionless table as shown. The center block is at rest, whereas the other two blocks are moving directly towards it at identical speeds v. The center block is initially closer to the left block than the right one. All motion takes place along a single horizontal line.

Problem #2 on this website: https://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2010/upload/2009_F-ma.pdf

Suppose that all collisions are instantaneous and perfectly elastic. After a long time, which of the following is true?
(A) The center block is moving to the left.
(B) The center block is moving to the right.
(C) The center block is at rest somewhere to the left of its initial position.
(D) The center block is at rest at its initial position.
(E) The center block is at rest somewhere to the right of its initial position.

(Correct Answer: D)

Homework Equations

p [/B]= mv
mv1 + mv2 = mv3 + mv4

KE = (0.5)m(v^2)
(0.5)m(v1^2) + (0.5)m(v2^2) = (0.5)m(v3^2) + (0.5)m(v4^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I observed that there was no friction, meaning that the velocity of each mass should, in theory, remain constant until it experienced a force from another mass after colliding with it. This, in my mind, would mean that the blocks should continue colliding forever due to Newton's first law of inertia... but that thinking is obviously flawed.

I tried writing equations using conservation of kinetic energy and conservation of linear momentum, but I seemed to be getting nowhere in terms of finding the position after a long period of time. Honestly, I don't even know how I'm supposed to attempt such a problem. Should I be considering velocity of the center of mass or change in position of the center of mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chozen Juan said:

Homework Statement

Three blocks of identical mass are placed on a frictionless table as shown. The center block is at rest, whereas the other two blocks are moving directly towards it at identical speeds v. The center block is initially closer to the left block than the right one. All motion takes place along a single horizontal line.

Problem #2 on this website: https://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2010/upload/2009_F-ma.pdf

Suppose that all collisions are instantaneous and perfectly elastic. After a long time, which of the following is true?
(A) The center block is moving to the left.
(B) The center block is moving to the right.
(C) The center block is at rest somewhere to the left of its initial position.
(D) The center block is at rest at its initial position.
(E) The center block is at rest somewhere to the right of its initial position.

(Correct Answer: D)

Homework Equations

p [/B]= mv
mv1 + mv2 = mv3 + mv4

KE = (0.5)m(v^2)
(0.5)m(v1^2) + (0.5)m(v2^2) = (0.5)m(v3^2) + (0.5)m(v4^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I observed that there was no friction, meaning that the velocity of each mass should, in theory, remain constant until it experienced a force from another mass after colliding with it. This, in my mind, would mean that the blocks should continue colliding forever due to Newton's first law of inertia... but that thinking is obviously flawed.

I tried writing equations using conservation of kinetic energy and conservation of linear momentum, but I seemed to be getting nowhere in terms of finding the position after a long period of time. Honestly, I don't even know how I'm supposed to attempt such a problem. Should I be considering velocity of the center of mass or change in position of the center of mass?
What do v1, v2, v3, v4 mean?
Follow the events. What is the first collision, that between the left block and the central one, or that between the right block and the central one?
What happens if two blocks of the same mass collide elastically, and one of them was in rest before the collision?

Ohhhh Since the collision is perfectly elastic, the speed of the block on the left will become zero, and the speed of the block on the left will be v. Then, after the other two blocks collide, the center block will collide again with the left block, and the speed of the center block will become zero. I get it.

Well done!
Does it get to the initial position?

ehild said:
Well done!
Does it get to the initial position?
Yes. It does get to its initial position since the point at which the center block collides with the left most block for the second time is at the initial position. Since the center block comes to rest at the instant of collision due to conservation of momentum at the point of collision, that must mean that the center block comes to rest at its initial position.

1. How do I calculate the final position of a block?

To calculate the final position of a block, you will need to know its initial position, velocity, and acceleration. You can use the equations of motion (such as d = vt + 1/2at^2) to determine the final position. Make sure to use consistent units for all values.

2. Can I use a calculator to figure out the final position of a block?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the equations of motion and determine the final position of a block. Make sure to enter all values correctly and use the correct units to get an accurate result.

3. Is the final position of a block affected by the mass of the block?

Yes, the final position of a block can be affected by its mass. Objects with larger masses will have a greater inertia and will require more force to change their position. This can impact the final position of the block.

4. What if there is friction or air resistance affecting the block?

If there is friction or air resistance acting on the block, it will slow down the block's velocity and may change its final position. In this case, you may need to use more advanced equations that take into account these external forces.

5. Can I use a computer program to determine the final position of a block?

Yes, you can use a computer program or simulation to determine the final position of a block. This can be helpful for complex scenarios or for analyzing the position of multiple blocks at once. However, it is still important to understand the underlying equations and principles involved.