How do I find the derivative of tan(x) from first principles?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Dr-NiKoN
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
29 replies · 12K views
Dr-NiKoN
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
[itex]f(x) = \tan(x) = \frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}[/itex]
Using: [itex](\Delta x = h)[/itex]

[itex]f'(x) = \frac{f(x + h) - f(x)}{h}[/itex]

[itex]f'(x) = \frac{\frac{\sin(x + h)}{\cos(x + h)} - \frac{sin(x)}{\cos(x)}}{h}[/itex]

Where do I go from here?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\sin(x + h) = -\sin(x)[/itex]
[itex]\cos(x + h) = -cos(x)[/itex]

[itex]f'(x) = \frac{\frac{-\sin(x)}{-\cos(x)} - \frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}}{h}[/itex]

Is this the correct step?
hmpf, probably not..
 
Last edited:
Maybe:

[itex]sin(u + v) = \sin(u)\cos(v) + \cos(u)\sin(v)[/itex]

Thus:

[itex]f'(x) = \frac{\frac{\sin(x)\cos(h) + \cos(x)\sin(h)}{\cos(x)\cos(h) - \sin(x)\sin(h)} - \frac{sin(x)}{\cos(x)}}{h}[/itex]

?
 
First try finding the derivative of sin(x) and cos(x) first. (You probably know them already).
Then use the quotient rule.
[tex]\left(\frac{f}{g}\right)'=\frac{gf'-fg'}{g^2}[/tex]
 
Yes, I have no problems doing it that way.
But, how about using the general formula for derivatives:

[itex]f'(x) = \frac{f(x + h) - f(x)}{h}[/itex]

Possible?
 
definitely,

Needs a bit of trigonometry result ...
tan(A-B) = [tan(A) - tan(B)]/[1+tan(A)tan(B)]
therefore,
tan(A) - tan(B) = tan(A-B)*(1+tan(A)tan(B))

tan(x+h)-tan(x) = tan(h)*(1+tan(x+h)tan(x))
Can u finish off now?

-- AI
 
Hm..
[itex]f'(x) = \frac{\tan(h) * (1 + \tan(x+h)\tan(x))}{h}[/itex]

I'm not sure how I would proceed from here?
 
i am sure u know,
[tex]f'(x) = \lim_{h->0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

so what is lim_{h->0} tan(h)/h ??

-- AI
 
[itex]\frac{tan(x)}{x} = \frac{\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}}{x} = \frac{\sin(x)}{x}\frac{1}{cos(x)} = 1[/itex]

I'm not seeing the bigger picture though :)

Hm.
[itex]f'(x) = \frac{\tan(h)}{h} \frac{1 + \tan(x+h)\tan(x)}{1}[/itex]

Is this what you mean?
 
Last edited:
[tex]f'(x)=\lim_{h\,\rightarrow\,0}1+\tan(x+h)\tan(x)[/tex]

What is [tex]\lim_{h\,\rightarrow\,0}\tan(x+h)[/tex]?
 
devious_ said:
[tex]f'(x)=\lim_{h\,\rightarrow\,0}1+\tan(x+h)\tan(x)[/tex]

What is [tex]\lim_{h\,\rightarrow\,0}\tan(x+h)[/tex]?

Nitpicking: Well, you also have to insure that [tex]\tan(x)[/tex] is defined. If [tex]x=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] the limit does not exist or is asymptotic.
 
NateTG said:
Nitpicking: Well, you also have to insure that [tex]\tan(x)[/tex] is defined. If [tex]x=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] the limit does not exist or is asymptotic.

Nitpicking: you mean ensure :).
 
Hm, I'm not seeing how to get to 1/cos^2x, but it doesn't matter, I'll just use f'(x)/g'(x).

[itex]f(x) = \tan(x) \rightarrow (\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)})' = \frac{(\sin(x))'\cos(x) - \sin(x)(\cos(x))'}{(\cos(x))^{2}} = \frac{\cos^{2}(x) + \sin^{2}(x)}{\cos^{2}(x)}[/itex]

Here is another question though:
Find the derivative of arctan(x), using arctan(tan(x)) = x.
This also has me stumped.

[itex]g'(x) = \arctan(x)[/itex]

I know that:
[itex]f'(x) = f'[g(x)] * g'(x)[/itex]

But, I don't see what I can do with arctan(x), except for the obvious:

[itex]\arctan(\arctan(\tan(x)))[/itex]
which doesn't help at all.

How would I proceed? I'm suppoed to use the derivative of a "functionsfunction", not sure what it's called in english.
 
Last edited:
Dr-NiKoN said:
Hm, I'm not seeing how to get to 1/cos^2x, but it doesn't matter, I'll just use f'(x)/g'(x).

[itex]f(x) = \tan(x) \rightarrow (\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)})' = \frac{(\sin(x))'\cos(x) - \sin(x)(\cos(x))'}{(\cos(x))^{2}} = \frac{\cos^{2}(x) + \sin^{2}(x)}{\cos^{2}(x)}[/itex]

Here is another question though:
Find the derivative of arctan(x), using arctan(tan(x)) = x.
This also has me stumped.

[itex]g'(x) = \arctan(x)[/itex]

I know that:
[itex]f'(x) = f'[g(x)] * g'(x)[/itex]

But, I don't see what I can do with arctan(x), except for the obvious:

[itex]\arctan(\arctan(\tan(x)))[/itex]
which doesn't help at all.

How would I proceed? I'm suppoed to use the derivative of a "functionsfunction", not sure what it's called in english.

Say y = arctan(x) then tan(y) = tan(atan(x)). But tan(atan(x))=x for all x. So we have tan(y) = x deriving with respect to x on left side and right side we get:
y' * (tan(y)^2 + 1) = 1 => y' = 1/(tan(y)^2+1). But what is tan(y)? Well tan(y)=x so the derivate of arctan(x) is 1/(x^2+1).
 
Mmm I know to do it but with complex function, since

[tex]\arctan{z} = {1 \over 2} i ( \ln(1 -iz) - \ln(1 + iz))[/tex]

You easily obtain that

[tex]{d \over dz} \arctan{z} = {1 \over 1 + z^2}[/tex]

I don't know how to do in other way, without knowing the expression of arctan in more elemmental functions...
 
hedlund said:
Say y = arctan(x) then tan(y) = tan(atan(x)). But tan(atan(x))=x for all x. So we have tan(y) = x deriving with respect to x on left side and right side we get:
y' * (tan(y)^2 + 1) = 1 => y' = 1/(tan(y)^2+1). But what is tan(y)? Well tan(y)=x so the derivate of arctan(x) is 1/(x^2+1).
Hm.
[itex]y = \arctan(x)[/itex]
[itex]\tan(y) = x[/itex]
[itex]\arctan(\tan(x)) = x[/itex]
This I understand.
But, how do you get from:
[itex]y = \arctan(x)[/itex]
to
[itex]tan(y) = \tan(\arctan(x))[/itex]

Why isn't it, or wouldn't it be:
[itex]tan(y) = \arctan(\tan(x))[/itex]
?
 
Dr-NiKoN said:
Hm.

But, how do you get from:
[itex]y = \arctan(x)[/itex]
to
[itex]tan(y) = \tan(\arctan(x))[/itex]

?
Take the tangent of both sides of the equation.
 
Ah, of course :)
so
[itex]\tan(y) = \tan(\arctan(x)) = x[/itex]
And:
[itex]f'[g(x)] * g'(x)[/itex]

[itex]f(x) = \tan(y)[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = y[/itex]

[itex](tan(y))' * y' = x'[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{\cos^2(x)} * 1 = 1[/itex]

I'm not understanding this :(
How do you get [itex]\frac{1}{\cos^2(x) + 1}[/itex]
?
 
Last edited:
> Take the tangent of both sides of the equation.

I don't know if that is too correct since the tangent is defined between [0, pi/2) so what if x = n*pi/2?
 
Dr-NiKoN said:
Ah, of course :)
so
[itex]\tan(y) = \tan(\arctan(x)) = x[/itex]
And:
[itex]f'[g(x)] * g'(x)[/itex]

[itex]f(x) = \tan(y)[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = y[/itex]

[itex](tan(y))' * y' = x'[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{\cos^2(x)} * 1 = 1[/itex]

I'm not understanding this :(
How do you get [itex]\frac{1}{\cos^2(x) + 1}[/itex]
?

[tex]\tan (\arctan (x))=x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \tan (\arctan (x)) = \frac{d}{dx} x[/tex]
[tex]\arctan'(x) \times \sec^2(\arctan(x))=1[/tex]
[tex]\arctan'(x) = \cos^2(\arctan(x))[/tex]
Now
[tex]\cos(\arctan(x))=\frac{\pm 1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]
(Consider, for example, a right triangle where the adjacent side is 1, the opposite side is [tex]x[/tex] and the hypotenuse is [tex]\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex])
So we can substitute that in:
[tex]\arctan'(x)=(\frac{\pm 1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}})^2=\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]
the [tex]\pm[/tex] drops out because of the square.
 
MiGUi said:
> Take the tangent of both sides of the equation.

I don't know if that is too correct since the tangent is defined between [0, pi/2) so what if x = n*pi/2?

There's no real problem - [tex]\arctan(\frac{n\pi}{2})[/tex] is a real number. It might be interesting if [tex]\arctan(x) = \frac{n\pi}{2}[/tex] but I would be interested to see a suitable (real) value [tex]x[/tex].

P.S. Dr. NiKoN : The derivative rule for function composition is called the "chain rule" in English.
 
Dr-NiKoN said:
What is d/dx and sec?

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] is a common notation for derivatives. For now, you could just think of it as [tex]\frac{d}{dx} f(x) =f'(x)[/tex].

And [tex]\sec(x)=\frac{1}{\cos(x)}[/tex] (it's called the secant).
 
I'm getting more and more confused :(
How do you get from:
[itex](\arctan(x))' * \frac{1}{\cos^2(x)}\arctan(x) = 1[/itex]
to
[itex](\arctan(x))' = \cos^2(\arctan(x))[/itex]

I don't really understand the following steps either. What mathematically steps are you taking here?
 
Dr-NiKoN said:
I'm getting more and more confused :(
How do you get from:
[itex](\arctan(x))' * \frac{1}{\cos^2(x)}\arctan(x) = 1[/itex]
to
[itex](\arctan(x))' = \cos^2(\arctan(x))[/itex]

I don't really understand the following steps either. What mathematically steps are you taking here?

No, I had
[tex](\arctan(x))'\times \frac{1}{\cos^2(\arctan(x))}=1[/tex]
so
[tex](\arctan(x))'=\cos^2(\arctan(x))[/tex]
It's the cosine (or secant) of the arctangent, not the product of the cosine or secant and the arctangent.

[tex]\cos(\arctan(x))=\frac{\pm 1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}[/tex]
Is a trig identity. You should be able to derive it by drawing a right triangle, and thinking about it.
 
I'll try drawing up a triangle and see if I understand it that way.
thanks :)
 
First question:
[tex]\lim_{h\to0}\tan(x+h)=\tan(x)[/tex]
So:
[tex]f'(x)=\lim_{h\to0}1+\tan(x+h)\tan(x)=1+\tan^2(x)=\sec^2x[/tex]

Second question:
[tex]y=\arctan(x)[/tex]
[tex]\tan(y)=x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy}=\sec^2(y)=1+\tan^2(y)\ \ [\tan^2(y)=x^2][/tex]
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy}=1+x^2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
I think that the derivative of arctan is the most beautiful out of all the trig functions.
 
I don't! :(
So we have tan(y) = x deriving with respect to x on left side and right side we get:
y' * (tan(y)^2 + 1) = 1
[itex]\tan(y) = x[/itex]

Using: f'(x) = f'[g(x)] * g'(x)

[itex](\tan(y))' * y' = x'[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{\cos^2x} * y' = x'[/itex]

I still don't understand this :(
 
Hm
[itex]\tan(y) = x[/itex] so [itex]y = \arctan(x)[/itex]

[itex](\tan(y))' * y' = x'[/itex]

I know what that [itex]y = \arctan(x)[/itex]
So
[itex](\tan(\arctan(x))' * y' = x'[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{\cos^2x}(\arctan(x))' * y' = x'[/itex]

[itex](arctan(x))' = \frac{x'}{\frac{y'}{\cos^2x}}[/itex]

Still not there though :(
 
Last edited: