How do I find the energies of these states?

In summary, The problem asks for finding the energy levels and wavefunctions for a two-electron system with spin, using the singlet state and the Hamiltonian. The approach involves solving the Schrodinger equation and considering the boundary conditions for the two particles. The energy levels are degenerate, but the lowest three states can be determined by pairing the wavefunctions based on the Pauli principle. The inclusion of spin does not cause splitting, as the Hamiltonian does not contain any spin operators.
baouba

Homework Statement

Here is the problem: http://imgur.com/XEqE4SY

Homework Equations

|psi_s_ms> = |s, ms> ⊗ Σ D_i_j |psi_i, psi_j>[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the singlet state in the |s, ms> basis is |0,0> = (1/sqrt(2))[ |up, down> - |down, up>] and that the hamiltonian for this system is H = (-hbar/2m)(∇1^2 + ∇2^2).

How would you go about getting a value of energy. I feel like this is an easy question, I just don't know how to start. Is <0,0|H|0,0> the right approach? How would I even calculate that without an explicit expression for the state?

My other approach is recognizing that [S, H] = 0 so spin eigenstates are simultaneous energy eigenstates. I don't know if this helps me?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
baouba said:

first you have to find out the solution for schrodinger equation invoking the boundary conditions for the two electron system and getting the energy eigen values and wave functions - naturally
one gets energy levels which are degenerate and the splitting of levels will take place as states like s,p,d,f for various l values come up .then choose the lowest three states as asked by lookig at possible combinations of l and s values.
if the states splits then the energy change has to be calculated.

baouba said:

a detail exercise /calculation has to be performed;
you may look up the following for help

Two-particle systems
www.physics.udel.edu/~msafrono/425-2010/Lecture%204.pdf

but analyze the process of choice of wave functions esp. the spin functions and their symmetry/

baouba said:
How would you go about getting a value of energy.
Are you familiar with solving the eigenvalue problem for a single particle in an infinite potential well? Finding the eigenvalues (energy levels) for this problem is very similar to the one particle version as drvrm pointed out above, you just need to pair the wavefunctions from the two particles under the rule governed by Pauli principle.
baouba said:
My other approach is recognizing that [S, H] = 0 so spin eigenstates are simultaneous energy eigenstates. I don't know if this helps me?
Yes, that's true. But for now, find first the general form of the eigenfunctions neglecting the spin and Pauli principle.
drvrm said:
one gets energy levels which are degenerate and the splitting of levels will take place as states like s,p,d,f for various l values come up .then choose the lowest three states as asked by lookig at possible combinations of l and s values.
Angular momentum operator is not a useful quantity in a 1D problem as it is equal to the zero operator.
drvrm said:
if the states splits then the energy change has to be calculated.
The inclusion of spins does not cause splitting as the Hamiltonian doesn't contain any of the spin operators.

Likes drvrm

1. How do I find the energies of these states?

To find the energies of states, you can use a variety of methods depending on the specific system you are studying. Some common approaches include solving the Schrödinger equation, using quantum mechanical models, analyzing spectroscopic data, and performing numerical simulations. It is important to consult relevant literature or seek guidance from experts in the field to determine the most appropriate method for your specific situation.

2. What are some factors that affect the energies of states?

The energies of states can be affected by a variety of factors, including the physical properties of the system (such as the size and shape of the system), the interactions between particles, and external forces or fields. Additionally, the energies of states can be influenced by quantum effects, such as the uncertainty principle and quantum entanglement.

3. Can I measure the energies of states experimentally?

Yes, it is possible to measure the energies of states experimentally. This is often done through spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the interaction of light with matter. By studying the absorption or emission of light at different wavelengths, scientists can determine the energies of states in a system.

4. How do the energies of states relate to the properties of a material?

The energies of states play a crucial role in determining the properties of a material. For example, in semiconductors, the energies of states can determine the electrical conductivity and band gap of the material. In molecules, the energies of states can affect the stability, reactivity, and electronic structure of the molecule. Understanding the energies of states is essential for predicting and controlling the properties of materials.

5. Are there any software programs or tools that can help with finding energies of states?

Yes, there are several software programs and tools that can assist with finding the energies of states. Some commonly used programs include Gaussian, VASP, and Quantum Espresso, which use computational methods to calculate the energies of states. Additionally, there are online databases and resources that provide information on the energies of states for various systems.