1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I get theta out of this equation?

1. Sep 4, 2006 #1
    I've been working on a statics problem and I need to solve for theta, the equation I have right now is (4/5) = sin(theta) + cos(theta).

I can't remember how to get theta out of this, my brain isn't functioning very well tonight... Been up too long :( :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2006 #2
    You can square both sides and after simplification you should get

[tex]9/25 = 1 + 2\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta) = 1 + \sin(2\theta)[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow -16/25 = \sin(2\theta) \Rightarrow \theta = 1/2\cdot\arcsin(-16/25) [/tex]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  4. Sep 4, 2006 #3
    Thanks Swapnil.

5. Sep 4, 2006 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

One more way is to use the identity:
    [tex]\sin x + \cos x = \sqrt{2} \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right)[/tex]
    So:
    [tex]\frac{4}{5} = \sin x + \cos x = \sqrt{2} \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right)[/tex]
    [tex]\Leftrigharrow \frac{\sqrt{2 ^ 3}}{5} = \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right)[/tex]
    Can you go from here? :)
    By the way, when using the first mentioned method, you should check if the solution gives out really satisfies the problem, since if you square both sides, like you have (-2)2 = (2)2, but -2 is not equal to 2. Do you follow me? :)
    And another point is that, there are infinite numbers of solutions to the equation:
    [tex]\frac{-16}{25} = \sin (2 \theta)[/tex], not just one as Swapnil mentioned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook