How do I google this? (f: A -> B)

• Thread starter Pithikos
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I want to find information regarding what f: A [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]B is. What shall I google? I am not even sure this has anything to do with sets :S

Answers and Replies

I want to find information regarding what f: A [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]B is. What shall I google? I am not even sure this has anything to do with sets :S
You could put "a function f from A to B" of "a function f:A->B" into Google, however this is a very general statement. I would imagine you'll get a whole slew of search results, because that expression is used nearly everywhere in mathematics.

Is it a specific function that you're interested? If so you need to consider its defining properties. If you put a "f:A->B such that ..." (where ... represents the defining property of such a function) into Google, you'll likely narrow the search. The Wiki article that micromass posted is very comprehensive and easy to understand -- I've used it many times.

Landau
Science Advisor
It does not necessarily have to do with sets. It could represent an arrow (also called morphism) between objects in a category. A priori "f:A->B" has no meaning. The context should make clear what the author is talking about.