How do I graph a summation using a TI 89?

In summary, to enter a summation into your TI 89 calculator, press "F3" and select "sum" from the menu. To change limits, use arrow keys and "F2" and "F3" buttons. To plot a summation graph, enter expression, press "F2" and select "Sum Graph". To add/subtract multiple summations, use "F3" and select "sum". To save a graph, press "F4", select "file", and "save as" in the "Apps" menu.
jaejoon89
I know how to write it out in the general window, but not in the graphing window (there's no summation option in the graph feature). Is there a way to import it or another way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Change the graphing mode to sequence.

How do I do that?

jaejoon89 said:
How do I do that?

you could try RTFM.

(hint: there's a MODE button on the 89. You're trying to change the graph MODE. hmmmm)

1. How do I enter a summation into my TI 89 calculator?

To enter a summation into your TI 89 calculator, press the "F3" button and select "sum" from the menu. Then, enter the expression you want to sum and the lower and upper limits of the summation. Press "Enter" to see the result.

2. How do I change the limits of the summation on my TI 89 calculator?

To change the limits of the summation on your TI 89 calculator, use the arrow keys to navigate to the limits and press "Enter" to edit them. You can also use the "F2" and "F3" buttons to switch between the lower and upper limits.

3. How do I plot a summation graph on my TI 89 calculator?

To plot a summation graph on your TI 89 calculator, enter the summation expression and press "F2" to access the "Plot Setup" menu. Select "Sum Graph" and press "Enter" to see the graph. You can also adjust the viewing window using the arrow keys.

4. How do I add and subtract multiple summations on my TI 89 calculator?

To add and subtract multiple summations on your TI 89 calculator, use the "F3" button and select "sum" from the menu. Then, enter the first summation expression and press the "+/-" button to add or subtract another summation. Repeat this process for each summation you want to add or subtract.

5. How do I save a summation graph on my TI 89 calculator?

To save a summation graph on your TI 89 calculator, press the "F4" button and select "file" from the menu. Then, choose "save as" and enter a name for your graph. You can access and view your saved graphs in the "Apps" menu.