How do I graph the position for this velocity-time graph?

In summary, the position at each second can be calculated by multiplying the velocity by the change in time (dt). Between t = 0 seconds and t = 2 seconds, the position is a linear line with a slope of 3 m/s. From t = 2 seconds to t = 6 seconds, the velocity is -2 m/s and the position can be found by using the equation s = v*dt. If confused, remember that velocity is the change in position over one second.
Sarah R.

Homework Statement

Between t = 0 seconds to t = 2 seconds the velocity is 3 m/s ihat. Between t = 2 seconds and t = 6 seconds the velocity is -2 m/s ihat. I need to know what the position is at each second.

Homework Equations

Position = velocity * dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the position for the first 2 seconds is a linear line with a slope of 3 m/s. But I'm not sure about the position for t = 2 seconds through t = 6 seconds.

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity is the slope of the line.
You know the position at t=2s, and you know the slope... so use a ruler.
If you get confused... the velocity is the amount the position changes by in one second.
Between 2 and 3 seconds, what is the velocity?

Your equation is incorrect: if displacement is s, then ds = v.dt
For constant acceleration a this turns into the suvat equations.

1. How do I interpret the velocity-time graph?

The velocity-time graph shows the relationship between an object's velocity and time. The slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration, with a steeper slope indicating a higher acceleration. The area under the graph represents the displacement of the object.

2. What is the process for graphing position from a velocity-time graph?

To graph the position from a velocity-time graph, you will need to use the equation: position = initial position + velocity x time. First, determine the initial position of the object on the graph. Then, use the slope of the graph to calculate the velocity at different time intervals. Finally, plug the values into the equation to find the object's position at each time interval and plot the points on a position-time graph.

3. How do I find the initial position from a velocity-time graph?

The initial position on a velocity-time graph is represented by the y-intercept, or the point where the graph intersects with the y-axis. This value can be read directly from the graph or calculated using the equation: initial position = position - (velocity x time).

4. What does a horizontal line on a velocity-time graph represent?

A horizontal line on a velocity-time graph indicates that the object is moving at a constant velocity. This means that the object is not accelerating and its position is changing at a constant rate.

5. How can I use a velocity-time graph to determine the maximum velocity of an object?

The maximum velocity of an object can be determined by finding the highest point on the velocity-time graph. This can be done by finding the point with the steepest slope or by calculating the slope at different points and finding the highest value. The value of the maximum velocity can then be read from the graph or calculated using the equation: maximum velocity = change in velocity / change in time.