How do I graph in vertex form with an equation like (x+1/2)^2 = 12(y - 3)?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Form Graphing Vertex
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Tyrion101
Messages
166
Reaction score
2
I've run into stumbling block here, is some sort of conversion required when your equation looks like: (x+1/2)^2 = 12(y - 3). Do I move it to standard form or can I graph it as is?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The answer might depend on your skill in graphing.
Usually, it's easier to isolate one variable [now called the dependent] in terms of another variable [the independent].
Then you can run different values for the independent variable and quickly get the corrseponding values for the dependent one.
Some software, like the desmos calculator, can handle your original "implicit form".
 
That's what I was going to do, I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.