How do I know what product to I get from the reaction between 2 molecules?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential product of a reaction between Linolenic Acid and Luteolin. It is suggested that the reaction would be an acid-base reaction, with the alcohol from linolenic acid attacking the oxygen with the double bond from luteolin. The concept of a condensation reaction is also brought up.
jaalcare
Hi,

I need to know what is the product I would get from the reaction between Linolenic Acid 8http://dl.clackamas.edu/ch106-06/images/fatty10.jpg) [Broken] and Luteolin (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/f/f9/20070124191456!Luteolin.png)

I think Linolenic Acid would act as an acid and Luteolin as a base, so it would be an acid-base reaction.

I would say that the alcohol from linolenic acid would attack the oxygen with the double bond from luteolin but I think I need to get water as a product from and acid-base reaction. I don't know if the would just bond, or the molecules would break apart...

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ever heard of a condensation reaction? A common one is alcohol-acid ester formation.

1. How do I determine the products of a reaction between two molecules?

Determining the products of a reaction between two molecules requires knowledge of the reactants, reaction conditions, and the type of reaction occurring. This can be done by balancing the chemical equation and applying the appropriate reaction mechanisms and principles of chemistry.

2. Can I predict the products of a reaction based on the reactants?

Yes, the products of a reaction can be predicted based on the reactants using the principles of chemistry. The type of reaction and the functional groups present in the reactants can give clues about the potential products.

3. How can I confirm the products of a reaction experimentally?

Confirming the products of a reaction experimentally can be done through various techniques such as spectroscopy, chromatography, and mass spectrometry. These methods can help identify the chemical composition and structure of the products.

4. Can the products of a reaction be different depending on the reaction conditions?

Yes, the products of a reaction can vary depending on the reaction conditions such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts. These factors can affect the reaction pathway and lead to different products being formed.

5. Are there any limitations to predicting the products of a reaction?

While the principles of chemistry can help predict the products of a reaction, there are limitations to this prediction. Factors such as side reactions, impurities in the reactants, and unexpected reaction pathways can lead to different or additional products being formed.