How to understand this acidic oxide chemical reaction?

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter zenterix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemical reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 3K views
zenterix
Messages
774
Reaction score
84
Homework Statement
How exactly does the chemical reaction

$$\mathrm{CO_2+2OH^-\leftrightharpoons HCO_3^-+OH^-\leftrightharpoons CO_3^{2-}+H_2O}\tag{1}$$

happen?
Relevant Equations
I am learning about what an acidic oxide is and this example is given in Wikipedia.
The way I understand it is that we have an aqueous solution of something that produces hydroxide ions.

If there are carbon dioxide gas molecules in the solution then from the book I am reading it seems that the following definitely happens

1) One hydroxide acts as a Lewis base (donates electron pair to ##\mathrm{CO_2}## and also acts as a Bronsted acid (donates a proton) to another hydroxide.

1732470571100.png


The end result seems to be

1732470613033.png


though I am not sure exactly what is happening here.

For example, how exactly did the oxygen anion attach to the carbon and what happened to the double bond with the other oxygen?

2) So it seems we need to get from the last picture above to ##\mathrm{H_2CO_3}##.

This seems to result from two protons attaching to the oxygens with negative charge.

1732470971236.png


Do the protons come from water molecules?

In equation (1), the ##\mathrm{H_2CO_3}## is not explicitly stated. Why?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Inorganic chemistry very rarely deals with mechanisms (which is a standard approach in orgo). That's just the way it is, so don't be surprised you can't find anything.

As far as I remember QM calculations suggest H2CO3 is extremely unstable (and its decomposition is catalyzed by water), so its presence in water solutions is dubious.