How do I Locate Specific Research?

In summary, when looking for original research, it's important to have a specific topic in mind and use relevant keywords to narrow down search results. It may also be helpful to browse through journals and set up alerts for articles in areas of interest. Additionally, looking for monographs or handbooks may be useful for older research, while journal articles and other online resources may be more helpful for newer research. It's also important to learn how to navigate the literature and seek guidance from experienced researchers. Spending time on literature review is necessary to avoid duplicating existing research and to gain a better understanding of the current state of the field.
Thing1
Could I get instructions to help find original research? Looking up research seems to be a laborious process if one is not sure of the exact title.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tips from experienced researchers, please! :smile:

Well you have to have some idea of what you're looking for in the first place. You don't need an exact title (unless you're looking for a specific paper), but you should be able to come up with relevant keywords. Then you can use any number of search engines to zero in on topics of interest. Probably the one I most commonly use is PubMed (because I'm a medical physicist).

Once you have a specific topic that you're following, you tend to browse through the journals that publish in that area on a regular basis. Some journals even allow you to set up alerts so that monthly, any articles that are published under topics of interest to you have the abstracts forwarded to you by email.

It's also worth noting that performing exhaustive literature searches IS a laborious process.

Thing1 said:
Could I get instructions to help find original research? Looking up research seems to be a laborious process if one is not sure of the exact title.

Hey Thing1 and welcome to the forums.

Is the research relatively old or new?

If it's a little older than most, then I have found (in mathematics) that things like monographs and the like tend to be published where a group of experts publishes a handbook that collects a lot of results together and makes something that makes it easier for the researcher.

I think the above is a natural result of time: when research starts it probably starts off as someone's notes and slowly gets polished into journal articles which later become part of the collective in central textbooks.

If the research is old, then I recommend looking for monographs or handbooks on a particular subject, but if its new research, then things like journal articles, or other sites that publish this sort of thing.

chiro said:
Hey Thing1 and welcome to the forums.

Is the research relatively old or new?

If it's a little older than most, then I have found (in mathematics) that things like monographs and the like tend to be published where a group of experts publishes a handbook that collects a lot of results together and makes something that makes it easier for the researcher.

I think the above is a natural result of time: when research starts it probably starts off as someone's notes and slowly gets polished into journal articles which later become part of the collective in central textbooks.

If the research is old, then I recommend looking for monographs or handbooks on a particular subject, but if its new research, then things like journal articles, or other sites that publish this sort of thing.

Hello,

I'm interested in doing my own research. I need to know if a paper has already been written or not. To do such a thing, I must guess several of the correct title words, which could still return 100s of results. Not to mention I could be looking in the wrong place -- and I'm not a PhD in the researched field, adding to my frustrations.

I did find this: http://www.library.cornell.edu/resrch/intro

Last edited:
My fear is spending months or years researching a topic that has been covered already.

Perhaps if you described the topic you're interested in it would be easier to help you?

Your university library will subscribe to databases of research (and almost certainly provide courses on how best to use them); you could also try Google Scholar. You don't have to find a paper on your exact topic, first go. Once you've found a paper that's related to what you're after, skim through it and see whether the bits that interest you have references you could look up. This may well lead you back to a review article summarising the state of the art at the time it was written. If you need to know about research since then, you can always search for papers that cite the review article.

But in relation to your final two comments: (a) you are probably going to need to look through hundreds of results to do a comprehensive review of any reasonably active subfield of modern science; and (b) the first thing you need to do when starting a research topic is get a feel for what's been done—and what's currently happening—in the field. You certainly shouldn't be spending years on a project without checking into see what other people are doing, otherwise you are likely to end up reinventing the wheel!

You certainly don't need to be a PhD in a particular field to do good research in it, but one of the important skills you learn during the PhD is how to navigate the literature. If you are serious about your research you need to spend serious amounts of time learning this skill, and then serious amounts of time exercising it.

Modulated said:
You certainly don't need to be a PhD in a particular field to do good research in it, but one of the important skills you learn during the PhD is how to navigate the literature. If you are serious about your research you need to spend serious amounts of time learning this skill, and then serious amounts of time exercising it.

Also, PhD students normally work with an advisor who is doing research in the same field and should be able point you to some relevant papers on your topic, to get you started. After that, you start following references in those papers, and then references in those papers, etc.

1. How do I narrow down my research topic?

One way to narrow down your research topic is to brainstorm and make a list of specific keywords related to your general topic. You can also browse through relevant academic journals and articles to get a better understanding of the current research being conducted in your field of interest.

2. How do I find credible sources for my research?

To find credible sources for your research, you can start by using databases and online libraries specific to your field of study. You can also look for sources that have been peer-reviewed, meaning they have been evaluated by experts in the field and deemed reliable.

3. How do I locate specific studies or experiments related to my research?

To locate specific studies or experiments related to your research, you can use keywords and search terms to narrow down your search in databases and online libraries. You can also reach out to experts in your field or look for references in other research papers.

4. How do I access research papers that are not freely available?

If a research paper is not freely available, you can try contacting the author or the institution where the research was conducted to request a copy. Some libraries also offer access to paid research papers, so you can check if your university or local library has a subscription.

5. How do I stay updated on new research in my field?

To stay updated on new research in your field, you can subscribe to academic journals and newsletters, follow relevant researchers and institutions on social media, and attend conferences and seminars. You can also set up Google Scholar alerts for specific keywords or topics.