How do I make water fizzy without carbonation?

• Thread starter LightningInAJar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, adding a non-toxic gas to water to create bubbles may make it more alkaline and taste like normal water.
LightningInAJar
I have had seltzer water which is merely carbonated water which is more acidic hence a more sour flavor as shown in link below. Is there a non-toxic gas that can be added to water to give it bubbles that actually makes it more alkaline? And if so, perhaps combining it with carbonation so the PH is something like 7.2 and tastes like normal water?

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/h...ge for all cold, carbonated water's pH is 4.5.

https://www.watercare.com/about-us/...n acidic pH changes many,pH level more than 7).

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
A short list of gas solubility in water is at:
https://www.wiredchemist.com/chemistry/data/solubilities-gases

Unfortunately, the higher solubility gases on the list are not compatible with life.

If you want a longer list, look here for 7 pages worth:
https://hbcp.chemnetbase.com/faces/documents/05_30/05_30_0001.xhtml

Or if you have access to the CRC HANDBOOK OF CHEMISTRY and PHYSICS
check the Index for: Gases, solubility on water.

(above found with:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=solubility+of+gasses+in+water)

Cheers,
Tom

Carbon dioxide has no PH because it's a gas? How is it known how a gas effects PH of water when desolved?

LightningInAJar said:
Carbon dioxide has no PH because it's a gas? How is it known how a gas effects PH of water when desolved?
When CO2 is dissolved in water, some of it combines with water molecules to make a carbonic acid:
CO2 + H2O --> H2CO3
In water CO2 is very involved with pH.
This in important in biology as well as water quality for fish.

Likes pinball1970
I want more OH than H ions? I assume the above includes 2 H and zero OH?

BillTre said:
Do you understand ionization in water?
Here is a review of pH for you.
Do you by chance have a table of chemical formulas and their respective PH level so I can visualize it better?

I think baking soda can be used to neutralize acid, but not sure if it adds flavor.

LightningInAJar said:
Do you by chance have a table of chemical formulas and their respective PH level so I can visualize it better?
pH is a property of a aqueous solution. The pH of a "chemical formula" doesn't make sense, it is a function of the concentration of a given solute.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, BillTre, symbolipoint and 1 other person
Sulfur hexafluoride is one non-toxic gas, but it seems to have too low water solubility for this purpose. Xenon gas is more water-soluble than other noble gases, but I'm not sure how much more of it can be dissolved in water with reasonable pressurization. It is also expensive and has a general anesthetic effect if inhaled in large amounts.

Some gaseous chlorofluorocarbons are likely to be water soluble, but they harm the ozone layer.

Nitrogen is used to "carbonate" drinks without using CO2 carbonation.
Using CO2 makes the water it is dissolved in more acidic. Nitrogen (N2) does not do this, so it doesn't make the water more acidic, but it doesn't make the water more alkaline either. No effect on the pH since it doesn't ionize.

This has been used in several beverage products and has produced flavorful effects:
In soft drinks, sparkling water, beer, wine, juice drinks, tea, flavored water, sports drinks and many other carbonated and non-carbonated beverages, nitrogen provides unique functionality to reduce foaming, protect flavors, retain desired colors, and maintain the integrity of your product.

• Informative
Likes DrClaude and hilbert2
DrClaude said:
pH is a property of a aqueous solution. The pH of a "chemical formula" doesn't make sense, it is a function of the concentration of a given solute.
So I wouldn't be able to look at a formula for a substance and calculate how acidic it is?

LightningInAJar said:
So I wouldn't be able to look at a formula for a substance and calculate how acidic it is?
You need the properties of the substance when dissolved in water. The substance alone will not be very informative.

You also don't seem to have a very good understanding of the interrelationships between pH, water, and ionized compounds. This will make the success of any calculations you try hit or miss.
Without understanding, mistakes are more likely.

BillTre said:
Nitrogen is used to "carbonate" drinks without using CO2 carbonation.
Using CO2 makes the water it is dissolved in more acidic. Nitrogen (N2) does not do this, so it doesn't make the water more acidic, but it doesn't make the water more alkaline either. No effect on the pH since it doesn't ionize.

This has been used in several beverage products and has produced flavorful effects:
Strange that I hadn't heard about that before...

Likes BillTre
Hmm. No easy task I guess.

1. How does carbonation make water fizzy?

Carbonation is the process of dissolving carbon dioxide gas into a liquid, such as water. When carbon dioxide gas is dissolved in water, it creates carbonic acid, which gives the water a slightly acidic taste and produces bubbles that make the water fizzy.

2. Is there a way to make water fizzy without using carbonation?

Yes, there are a few alternative methods to make water fizzy without using carbonation. One way is to add citric acid or lemon juice to the water, which creates a similar acidic taste and fizziness. Another method is to use a soda siphon or whipped cream dispenser, which infuses the water with carbon dioxide gas under pressure.

3. Can I make my own carbonated water at home?

Yes, there are several ways to make carbonated water at home. You can use a home carbonation system, such as a SodaStream, which adds carbon dioxide gas to water. Another option is to use a carbonation cap and a CO2 tank to carbonate water in a plastic bottle. You can also make your own carbonated water by adding baking soda and vinegar to water, which creates carbon dioxide gas.

4. How long does it take for water to become fizzy using alternative methods?

The time it takes for water to become fizzy using alternative methods can vary. Adding citric acid or lemon juice to water will create fizz almost immediately. Using a soda siphon or whipped cream dispenser can take a few minutes to infuse the water with carbon dioxide gas. Making carbonated water with baking soda and vinegar may take a few minutes for the reaction to occur.

5. Is carbonated water bad for you?

No, carbonated water is not bad for you. In fact, it can be a healthier alternative to sugary sodas. However, some people may experience bloating or discomfort from drinking carbonated water due to the carbon dioxide gas. It is always best to listen to your body and drink in moderation.

Back