How Do I Overcome Credit Redundancy and Graduate on Time at PF University?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graduate
In summary, the speaker is a Masters student in Mechanical Engineering who is trying to graduate this term. They were informed that some of their credits are redundant and will not count towards graduation, leaving them with only 9 out of the required 45 credits. They had met with the graduate adviser who assured them they were on track to graduate, but the adviser has since left the university. The speaker has checked the graduate bulletin and their online student account and found no indication that their credits would be redundant. They are now trying to appeal the decision with the department and considering talking to the dean.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Please help me! I am completing a Master's of Science in Mechanical Engineering and finish this term. I successfully defended my thesis and am now waiting to graduate. I was informed some of my credits are redundant, and hence won't count towards graduation.

I need 45 credits to graduate. 9, and only 9, of them must be thesis (503). I took 9 thesis and 3 others titled "research" (501). The graduate bulletin states 17 credits can be (501) and (503) with a few other's too. Now I am informed the research credits are the same as thesis and count as 12 thesis (503) credits, which exceeds 9.

Earlier this term I met with the graduate adviser several times and she told me I was okay to graduate (I am not talking about my research adviser; our department has one individual who monitors graduate issues, including graduation). She took a job at a different university about a month ago, although I was informed we still have contact with her. But I didn't just take her word for it; I also checked the graduate school bulletin and it no where specifies that these credits I took (501) would be redundant. I also checked my online student account and degree requirements, and it also does not say these credits are redundant.

I went to our department and they are trying to get the graduate school to accept all my credits. The department told me there is a chance I won't be able to graduate. What should I do to be able to graduate this term (after all I've earned it).

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to find out about any other possible avenues to appeal the decision to the graduate school, if it comes to that.

Let's hope it does't, but if so I was considering talking with the dean. Do you think this is a good idea or not?

It's hard for me to say, because I have no idea what the "bureaucratic climate" is like at your school.

1. How do I know if I have credit redundancy at PF University?

To determine if you have credit redundancy, you can review your academic transcript and compare it to the degree requirements for your program. If you have taken the same course multiple times or have taken courses that fulfill the same requirement, you may have credit redundancy.

2. Can I transfer credits to overcome credit redundancy at PF University?

Yes, you can transfer credits from other accredited institutions to PF University to help overcome credit redundancy. However, there may be limitations on the number of credits that can be transferred and if they fulfill specific degree requirements.

3. What steps should I take to overcome credit redundancy and graduate on time?

The first step is to meet with your academic advisor to discuss your situation and create an academic plan. This may involve retaking courses, taking additional courses, or transferring credits. It is also important to regularly monitor your academic progress and make adjustments as needed.

4. Can I use AP or IB credits to overcome credit redundancy at PF University?

Yes, if you have taken Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses in high school and received passing scores on the exams, you may be able to use those credits to fulfill certain degree requirements and help overcome credit redundancy.

5. What resources are available at PF University to help me overcome credit redundancy?

PF University offers various resources such as academic advising, tutoring, and academic support services to help students overcome credit redundancy and graduate on time. It is important to take advantage of these resources and communicate regularly with your academic advisor to stay on track towards graduation.