1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I parameterize these surfaces?

1. Dec 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Parameterize ##S={ S }_{ 1 }\bigcup { { S }_{ 2 } } ##, where ##S_1## is the surface with equation ##x^2+y^2=4## bounded above by the graph of ##2y+z=6## and below by the ##xy## plane. ##S_2## is the bottom disk

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##{ S }_{ 1 }=\left< 2cosu,2sinu,v \right> ,0\le u\le 2\pi ,0\le v\le 6-2y\\ { S }_{ 2 }=\left< rcosu,rsinu,0 \right> ,0\le u\le 2\pi ,0\le r\le 2##It doesn't make sense with the z boundaries because ##6-2y## isn't in terms of ##u## and ##v##...would it be ##6-4sinu##?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that's the idea. I wouldn't know how to parametrize this in one single expression, ecxept also with a ##\cup## symbol (for the disc I would then use different parameter names).

Note: The ##\ 0\le v \le 6-4\sin u \ ## isn't a parametrization yet (imho).

##\LaTeX## note: use \sin and \cos, etc. Much clearer

4. Dec 14, 2016 #3
    this is OK in preparation for a surface integral right? Next I'd compose ##F## (the vector field) with ##S_1## and ##S_2## with two integrals, then dot that with the normal from each parameterization. But it's not clear which normal would I use? Inner or outer? is outer the conventional choice?

5. Dec 14, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What integral ? Have we seen the full problem statement yet ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted