How do I prepare for two different possible paths (Grad school/work)

• Schools
  • Thread starter flying fish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prepare
In summary, the physics major is having some dilemmas with the company they work for. They don't know if they will have the funds to hire them after they graduate, but they may be able to get in for winter 2010. The physics major is thinking about delaying grad school for a year, but they are unsure if that is the best idea.
flying fish
The title of this may be a little confusing.

My delema is this:

I am a physics undergrad with only one more semester left to go. I am also a co-op at a really great little company that designs and produces waveguide optical components, sensors, microfluidics, and spectrometers - really cool place. They told me they would hire me after I graduate *if* they have the money. I plan to take them up on that offer if the offer still stands when I graduate.

But because this company is so small (and the economy is so fail), they really can't make an accurate prediction on whether they will have the funds to hire me until JUST before the time comes...maybe a month's notice at best. That's just because they don't want to commit to something until they KNOW they can afford it - and the further away a decision is, the less they know. And in a company of 12 people, you do have to make damn sure you can afford it before you agree to pay someone's salary for a year...

And here's where it gets complicated..."Just before the time comes", is actually just before the standard academic year starts, since my current undergraduate class rotation involves academic study during the summer.

So here's where I am confused and obviously don't know how things work with grad schools. First of all, I haven't applied to any Grad programs yet. Can I apply, and if accepted, defer the decision of whether or not to actually go there until literally a month before I would start? Or do you sign a contract well before that? What should I tell them in any Grad School applications or interviews? Any suggestions on how to approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is late in the year for graduate school application if you're looking for entrance for fall 2009. It may still be possible though for some schools. Your best bet is to contact any schools you're interested in and see if you can still apply. If you've missed the deadline for fall 2009, you might be able to get acceptance for winter 2010, if the school offers that as an option.

It's been my experience that when an offer goes out it comes with a deadline, so deferring the decision may not be an option. However, circumstances can change. No one is going to hold a gun to your head if once accepted, you decide not to attend. The disadvantages of doing this are however that (1) it burns a bridge, and (2) it may result in certain financial penalties, depending on the school.

I would suggest crossing the bridges as they come. Contact the schools you're interested in and first see if it's possible to get in. Then worry about actually getting in - remember it's a competative process, and applying late may not work in your favour. If you get accepted, worry about a deferred decision only if there's a deadline. If the company then decides to hire you, then worry about declining the application.

Thanks for the advice

That's kind of what I figured about it being late in the year. Actually, I somehow didn't even know that I had enough credits to graduate this summer until just a few weeks ago. Very poor planning on my part...But I never thought I'd get out of this school so fast.

I'm kind of thinking about delaying grad school for a year anyway, but then that makes me wonder what I will do for the next year if the company can't hire me! I guess I'll be just another guy in Michigan looking for a job...Or would it do me good to take some classes somewhere?

I don't want to make grad school my "Hap-hazardly planned backup plan" - I'd rather put some time into the decision of which school to go to. I don't mind waiting a year, even if the company can't hire me. I just want to make sure I do have a backup plan that doesn't involve me wasting a year of my life living in mom and dad's basement :).

1. How do I decide between going to grad school or entering the workforce?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and career aspirations. Grad school can provide specialized knowledge and skills, while the workforce can offer immediate hands-on experience. Consider researching the job market and career prospects in your field, as well as speaking with current graduate students and professionals to help make your decision.

2. How can I prepare for both grad school and the workforce simultaneously?

Start by creating a schedule that allows you to balance both options. Prioritize tasks and deadlines for both paths, and make sure to stay organized and disciplined. It may also be helpful to seek advice from mentors or professors who have experience in both academia and industry.

3. Should I have a different resume/CV for grad school and job applications?

Yes, it is important to tailor your resume/CV to each specific path. For grad school, focus on your academic achievements, research experience, and relevant coursework. For job applications, highlight your skills, internships, and professional experience. Make sure to also include any transferable skills that are applicable to both paths.

4. Is it beneficial to gain work experience before applying to grad school?

It can be beneficial to have work experience before applying to grad school, as it can provide valuable skills and insights that can enhance your graduate studies. However, this may not be necessary for all fields of study. Consider researching the requirements and expectations for your desired program to determine if work experience is necessary.

5. How can I prepare financially for grad school and the workforce?

Grad school can be expensive, so it is important to research funding opportunities such as scholarships, grants, and assistantships. Additionally, consider creating a budget and saving money while working before graduate school. For the workforce, make sure to negotiate your salary and benefits, and create a budget to manage your income effectively.