1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I prove this? (summation problem)

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1
    $$\sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i^2 > \frac{1}{n^2}(\sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i)^2$$

Note: each x_i is any observation (or statistic) it can be any real number and need not be constrained in anyway whatsoever, though you can take n > 1 and integer (i.e. there is at least two observations and the number of observations is discrete).

I'm not sure if this true or not, but part of my analysis to a particular problem assumed this was true, and I'm trying to prove it is indeed true (it seems to be case for any examples I come up with).

So far I came up with,
    $$n^2 \sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i^2 > \sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i^2 + 2\sum_{i \neq j, i > j} x_ix_j$$
    $$(n^2 - 1)\sum_{i=1}^{n}x_i^2 > 2\sum_{i \neq j,\: i > j} x_ix_j$$

and I'm not sure how to proceed from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you familiar with the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality?

4. Mar 24, 2014 #3
    Yes I am, but I'm not sure how to use it here. If I was interested in both a x_i and y_i then I would see how to use it here, but here I'm only looking at a x_i.

5. Mar 24, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Maybe take all ##y_i = 1##?

6. Mar 24, 2014 #5
    Hmm. Alright then by Cauchy-Schwartz I can say,

$$(\sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i \times 1)^2 \le (\sum_{i=1}^{n}x_i^2) (\sum_{i=1}^{n}1) = n\sum_{i=1}^{n}x_i^2 < n^2 \sum_{i=1}^{n}x_i^2$$

Which was what I wanted.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook