Show that C gives a confidence interval for θ

In summary, the author shows that a discrete statistical product model with $X=\mathbb{N}^n$, $\Theta=\mathbb{N}$, and $p_{\theta}(x_i)=\frac{1}{\theta}1_{\{1\leq x_i\leq \theta\}}$ forall $x_i\in \mathbb{N}$, $\theta\in \Theta$ gives a confidence interval for $\theta$ to the confidence probability $1-\alpha$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! 😊

For $n \in \mathbb{N}$ we consider the discrete statistical product model $(X, (\mathbb{P}_{\theta})_{\theta\in \Theta})$ with $X=\mathbb{N}^n$, $\Theta=\mathbb{N}$ and $p_{\theta}(x_i)=\frac{1}{\theta}1_{\{1\leq x_i\leq \theta\}}$ forall $x_i\in \mathbb{N}$, $\theta\in \Theta$.

Let $\alpha\in (0,1)$.

We define $$C(x)=\left \{\theta\in \Theta: \max (x_1, \ldots , x_n)\leq \theta\leq a^{-1/n}\cdot \max (x_1, \ldots , x_n)\right \}$$

(a) Show that $C$ gives a confidence interval for $\theta$ to the confidence probability $1-\alpha$.

(b) We have observed the following sample $x$ : $$2 \ \ \ \ 17 \ \ \ \ 44 \ \ \ \ 4 \ \ \ \ 16 \ \ \ \ 24 \ \ \ \ 32 \ \ \ \ 26 \ \ \ \ 21 \ \ \ \ 1 \ \ \ \ 24 \ \ \ \ 6$$
For $x$, calculate a confidence interval for $\theta$ with a confidence probability of $0.95$.
Could you give me a hint for (a) ? :unsure: For (b) I have done the following :

Do we use the part (a) here ? We have that $\alpha=0.05$ then we get the confidence interval \begin{align*}C&=\left \{\theta\in \Theta: \max (2 , 17 , 44 , 4, 16 , 24 ,32 , 26 ,21 , 1 , 24 ,6)\leq \theta\leq 0.05^{-1/12}\cdot \max (2 , 17 , 44 , 4, 16 , 24 ,32 , 26 ,21 , 1 , 24 ,6)\right \}\\ & =\left \{\theta\in \Theta: 44\leq \theta\leq 0.05^{-1/12}\cdot 44\right \}\\ & \approx \left \{\theta\in \Theta: 44\leq \theta\leq 56.47703\right \}\end{align*} Is that correct ? :unsure:

Physics news on Phys.org
For (a) we have to show that $P_\theta(\theta \in C(X)) \geq 1 - \alpha$, right?
Let $Y : =\max (x_1, \ldots , x_n)$ then do we have that $P_{\theta}(Y\leq \theta\leq \alpha^{-1/n}\cdot Y)=P_{\theta}(\theta\leq \alpha^{-1/n}\cdot Y)-P_{\theta}(\theta<Y)$ ?
Does it hold that $P_{\theta}(\theta\leq \alpha^{-1/n}\cdot Y)=P_{\theta}(\theta\cdot \alpha^{1/n}\leq Y)=P_{\theta}(Y\geq \theta\cdot \alpha^{1/n})=1-P_{\theta}(Y< \theta\cdot \alpha^{1/n})=1-p_{\theta}(\theta\cdot \alpha^{1/n})$ and $P_{\theta}(\theta<Y)=P_{\theta}(Y>\theta)=1-P_{\theta}(Y\leq \theta)=1- p_{\theta}(\theta)$ ?

:unsure:

1. What is a confidence interval for θ?

A confidence interval for θ is a range of values that is likely to contain the true value of the parameter θ with a certain level of confidence. It is used to estimate the true value of θ based on a sample of data.

2. How is a confidence interval for θ calculated?

A confidence interval for θ is calculated using a specific formula that takes into account the sample mean, sample size, and the standard error of the sample. The most commonly used formula is the Wald method, but there are other methods as well.

3. What does the confidence level represent in a confidence interval for θ?

The confidence level in a confidence interval for θ represents the percentage of times that the true value of θ will fall within the calculated interval if the same sampling procedure is repeated multiple times. For example, a 95% confidence level means that if the sampling procedure is repeated 100 times, the true value of θ will fall within the calculated interval in 95 out of 100 repetitions.

4. Why is a confidence interval for θ useful?

A confidence interval for θ is useful because it provides a range of values that is likely to contain the true value of θ. This allows us to make more accurate estimates and inferences about the population based on a sample of data.

5. Can a confidence interval for θ be interpreted as a probability?

No, a confidence interval for θ cannot be interpreted as a probability. It is a range of values that is likely to contain the true value of θ, but it does not represent a probability of the true value falling within that range. The confidence level only represents the percentage of times that the true value of θ will fall within the interval if the sampling procedure is repeated multiple times.