1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I set up the equations for this?

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    I am to find the reactions at A. How would I set up the equations for Ay and Ax in this problem? It seems pretty confusing. Also, will there be a momentum in this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

This system is supposed to be in equilibrium, right? In that case, forces in both x and y directions must sum to 0 and torques must sum to 0. Write out those conditions in 3 equations, plug in the numbers, and you'll get the answer.
  4. Mar 10, 2010 #3
    Well for forces in the X direction, it's just A (in the X direction) is 0, right?

For y direction, this is the equation I wrote down.

Ay + 300 - 100 - 200 = 0

Solving for the unknown, I got Ay = 0.

As for the momentum of A, here's what I wrote down. It doesn't exactly make sense to me.

-100(12) + 300(15) - 200(22) = 0

but...that comes out to -1100 = 0 which makes no sense? What's going on? Is the momentum of A just -1100?
  5. Mar 10, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are using the wrong terminology;it's the moments (or torques) of all forces about A that must equal 0.
    Since the support at A is fixed, it is capable of providing both forces and moment (or torque, or couple; these terms are sometimes used synonymously). So in your equation, you are missing the moment provided by the support at A.
  6. Mar 10, 2010 #5
    So the moment at A would be written like this?

A - 100(12) + 300(15) - 200(22) = 0

A = 1100

Also, was I right about the forces in the x and y directions?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook