1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I solve a sextic?

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    where do a cubic and a circle intersect? y=x^3, x^2+y^2=9? Descartes' rule of signs and rational zero theorem at least tell me we have a symmetical +- irrational root; what tools do I use next? is sin theta = cos^3 theta going anywhere? x^2 + x^6 - 9 = 0. I have seen a graphical solution, but have no idea which analytical tools to use.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2
    There is, in general, no analytic solution for sextic equations (this has been proven). For this one in particular, we have... [tex]x^{6} + x^{2} - 9 = 0[/tex] Let [itex]u = x^{2}[/itex], giving us...[tex]u^{3} + u - 9[/tex] Now approach it as a cubic.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By letting u = x2 you get a cubic in u. While it is possible to solve cubics such as this by hand, you likely have better things to do. You could solve it numerically or use a program such as Maple to write out an explicit formula. Here's the exact answer given by Maple for the positive value of x where they intersect (hard to read and parse):

(1/6)*sqrt(6)*sqrt((972+12*sqrt(6573))^(1/3)*((972+12*sqrt(6573))^(2/3)-12))/(972+12*sqrt(6573))^(1/3)

or approximately 1.385703836.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2011
  5. Oct 24, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I don't! Using the cubic formula (and, I will admit, a calculator) I got 1.9195 as a solution to the cubic, to four decimal places. The square root of that is 1.3855, basically your answer. Using that you can reduce the problem to a quadratic.

LCKurtz, I accidently clicked on "edit" when I intended "quote". Sorry about that. I think I put your post back together correctly.

6. Oct 24, 2011 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Heh. Nothing else to do eh? :cool:
    "With great power comes great responsibility." -- Spiderman

7. Oct 24, 2011 #6
    Pfft...he was only quoting his Aunt. Your knowledge of Marvel comics is insufficient for you to be giving advice on this forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook