How do I solve for x in this equation?

• Thread starter Cuisine123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate x in the equation -x^3+6x^2-11.998x+8 = 0. Possible methods mentioned include factoring, using Newton's method, and using a calculator. The rational root theorem is also mentioned, but it is determined that the equation has no rational roots. Finally, it is mentioned that there is a formula for solving cubic equations.
Cuisine123

Homework Statement

How can I calculate x in this equation: -x^3+6x^2-11.998x+8 = 0?

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

**I tried factoring, but how??
**I know that the answer turns out to be x=2.16, but how did this come about?

Physics news on Phys.org
What course is this from? 2.6 is not an exact answer so maybe they want you to use Newton's method? There are a few ways of solving this-- but the method will depend on what course you are taking.

Hi Cuisine123! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Cuisine123 said:
How can I calculate x in this equation: -x^3+6x^2-11.998x+8 = 0?

It's a cubic, and you wouldn't be expected to know how to solve it in an exam.

(Basically, you put x = y + a so that the equation is of the form y3 + Ay + B = 0, and then use a formula)

Just use a calculator! :wink:

By the "rational root theorem" the only possible roots are [itex]\pm 1[/itex], [itex]\pm 2[/itex], [itex]\pm 4[/itex], and [itex]\pm 8[/itex]. If that "11.998" were "12", then 2 would be triple root. As it is, however, that equation has no rational roots.

There is an analogous formula for polynomials of degree three: The solution of ax3+bx2+cx+d=0 is

cubic.gif

danielatha4 said:
The solution of ax3+bx2+cx+d=0 is …

shouldn't there be three solutions? :confused:

Related to How do I solve for x in this equation?

What is the basic process for solving an equation for x?

The basic process for solving an equation for x involves isolating the variable on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side until you are left with a single value for x.

How do I isolate the variable on one side of the equation?

To isolate the variable on one side of the equation, you can use inverse operations to undo any operations that have been performed on the variable. For example, if the equation is 2x + 3 = 9, you would subtract 3 from both sides to isolate the variable on the left side of the equation.

What should I do if there are variables on both sides of the equation?

If there are variables on both sides of the equation, you will need to combine like terms on each side and then move all of the terms containing the variable to one side by using inverse operations. Once the variable is on one side, you can solve for it using the same methods as before.

Can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

Yes, you can always check your answer by substituting it back into the original equation and simplifying both sides. If the equation is true, then your answer is correct.

What should I do if I cannot solve the equation for x?

If you are unable to solve the equation for x, it is possible that there is no single solution for x or that the equation is not solvable. In these cases, you may need to use other methods, such as graphing or numerical approximations, to find an approximate solution.