How do I solve this quadratic square?

In summary, the task at hand is to choose coefficients a, b, and c from the nine given numbers (-8, -4, -3, 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 9) to create an equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0 with a specific solution. The method used was trial and error, but a more efficient strategy would be to use the fact that if a number is a solution, then x - that number is a factor. However, the given instructions state that factoring cannot be used to solve this problem.
fdajkffk

Homework Statement

Basically I have to fill out this ax^2+bx+c using the given numbers
-8,-4,-3,1,2,5,6,7,9
The solution must be the one provided

So it works like this (example is just with regular addition)

1 2 3=5
=

Here is the problem:

http://www.shareapic.net/content.php?id=24056338&owner=sheldon3

Edit: pick the coefficients a, b, and c from the nine numbers at the top of the page (-8, -4, -3, 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 9) so that the equation ax2 + bx + c = 0 has the number to the right or below as a solution.

Homework Equations

ax^2+bx+c

x=-b+- √(b)^2 - 4(a)(c) / 2 QUADRATIC FORMULA

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the top row to be 1,-3,-4
And the first column to be 1,2,9

I accomplished this using trial and error. Is there a more efficient way to solve this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't explained this very well, IMO, and the picture you posted doesn't, either. What I think is going on (which you should confirm) is that you're supposed to pick the coefficients a, b, and c from the nine numbers at the top of the page (-8, -4, -3, 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 9) so that the equation ax2 + bx + c = 0 has the number to the right or below as a solution.

This works for the first row, for which you picked a, b, and c to be 1, -3, and -4. The equation x2 - 3x =4 = 0 has x = -1 for a solution.

You're choices for a, b, and c of 1, 2, and 9 in the first column don't work, if we're talking about the equation x2 + 2x + 9 = 0, since -.2280 is not a solution of this equation. In fact the only solutions of this equation are complex, and these aren't possible choices.

A strategy that's not as much trial and error is to notice that, for example, if 2.3508 is a solution of the quadratic, then x - 2.3508 is a factor. This means that you have (x - 2.3508)(ax + d) = 0, or ax2 + (d - 2.3508)x - 2.3508d = 0.

At this point, you want to find a number d so that b = (d - 2.3508) and c = -2.3508d are among the 9 numbers that you're given to work with.

Yea your explanation is right. Thanks
Anyway the work states that you cannot solve by factoring.
I kind of understand what you're saying. But if I need c= -2.3508d, that wouldn't be a number which I was given.

1. How do I find the roots of a quadratic equation?

To find the roots of a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

2. What is the discriminant and how does it affect the solutions of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root sign: b^2-4ac. It is used to determine the nature of the solutions of a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, there will be two distinct real solutions. If the discriminant is zero, there will be one real solution. And if the discriminant is negative, there will be two complex solutions.

3. Can I solve a quadratic equation by factoring?

Yes, if the quadratic equation can be factored, you can use the zero product property to find the solutions. Set each factor equal to zero and solve for x. However, not all quadratic equations can be factored, in which case you can use the quadratic formula.

4. How do I graph a quadratic equation?

To graph a quadratic equation, you can create a table of values by choosing different values for x and solving for y. Plot these points on a coordinate plane and connect them to form a parabola. Alternatively, you can use the vertex form of a quadratic equation, y = a(x-h)^2 + k, to determine the vertex and axis of symmetry, and then plot points accordingly.

5. What is the difference between a quadratic equation and a quadratic function?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical statement that contains a variable raised to the second power (or squared). It is typically in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0. On the other hand, a quadratic function is a mathematical relationship that can be represented by a parabola on a graph. It is typically in the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c. In other words, a quadratic equation is a statement, while a quadratic function is a graph.