1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the quadratic equation that suits the solutions

1. Nov 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if x1 and x2 are solutions to 1) x² + x + 1 = 0, then 2) y1 = ax1 + x2 and 3) y2 = x1 + ax2 are solutions to which quadratic equation?

2. Relevant equations
    ax² + bx + c = 0
    x1∕2 = (−b ± √(b² - 4ac))/2a

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, firstly i solved for x1 and x2 getting:
    x1 = (−1 + √(-3))/2
    x2 = (−1 - √(-3))/2
    I now have in mind to replace the x1 and x2 in equations 2) and 3), and after i simplify best i can to find the equation by means of following formula:
    (y - y1)(y - y2)
    Will this yield the solution, and is there a simpler way of doing this? The simplification alone is a hard task letalone the multiplication that comes afterwards.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Observation: [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] are the solutions of [itex]x^2 + bx + c = 0[/itex] if and only if [itex]x_1 + x_2 = -b[/itex] and [itex]x_1x_2 = c[/itex], since [tex]
    (x - x_1)(x - x_2) = x^2 - (x_1 + x_2)x + x_1x_2.[/tex] You didn't need to solve [itex]x^2 + x + 1 = 0[/itex]; the quadratic you are looking for is [tex]y^2 - (y_1 + y_2)y + y_1y_2 = 0,[/tex] and both [itex]y_1 + y_2[/itex] and [itex]y_1y_2[/itex] can be expressed in terms of [itex]a[/itex], [itex]x_1 + x_2 = -1[/itex] and [itex]x_1x_2 = 1[/itex] by adding and multiplying equations (2) and (3) respectively.

4. Nov 15, 2015 #3
    That is really helpful, now i have solved it rightly. Its y^2 - (a+1)y + a^2 - a + 1 = 0
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted