How to Solve Simultaneous Equations Involving λ and m?

• Thread starter GreenTea09
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to make m the subject in equations 1 and 2 by eliminating the common factor of λ. One suggestion is to solve for λ^2 in Equation 1 and substitute it into Equation 2. Another suggestion is to square both sides of Equation 2. However, there is a term (m+1/2)λ in Equation 2 that makes eliminating m difficult.
GreenTea09
11111.jpg

Lumda λ = 1.42
i tried to make m the subject and substituting Eqn 1 with Eqn 2 but end up getting stucked here everytime..
22222.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try taking equations 1 and 2 from the OP and squaring each first. That gets rid of the square root.

You can solve Equation 1 for λ^2 and then substitute this into Eq. 2. You should then be able to solve for m in terms of n.

This is called eliminating the common factor.

ive tried,there is a (m+1/2)λ which makes my elimination of m isn't possible(at least for me)..
i tried squaring both sides for equation(2) which ends up with a m^2*λ^2 + mλ^2 ...

1. How do I know if my equations are simultaneous?

Equations are considered simultaneous if they have more than one variable and have to be solved at the same time.

2. What is the first step in solving simultaneous equations?

The first step is to identify the variables in each equation and group them together.

3. How do I solve for the variables in simultaneous equations?

There are various methods to solve simultaneous equations, such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. Choose the method that works best for your equations.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve simultaneous equations?

Yes, most scientific and graphing calculators have a function to solve simultaneous equations. However, it is still important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving them.

5. What should I do if I get different solutions when solving simultaneous equations?

Double-check your calculations and make sure you have correctly solved for each variable. If the solutions still do not match, it is possible that the equations are inconsistent and do not have a solution.