Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I stop email notifications of subscribed thread activity?

1. Jan 28, 2013 #1

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

(Moderator's note: discussion moved from https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=667649)

while you're tweaking --

how do i prevent the emails notifying me of updates to thread?
    I found it once on my profile, but darned if i can again.

old jim

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2013 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Re: changes to the header

My PF, settings and options, edit options, scroll to messaging and notifications.

4. Feb 4, 2013 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be aware that once you change the settings, they are only applied to future threads that you post in or subscribe to. Existing subscribed threads will still generate email.

When you get an email about a previously-subscribed thread, you can go to the thread and click:
    Unsubscribe from this thread​
    Voila! No more email messages -- for that thread.

Then, if you want you may resubscribe -- so that the thread still appears in your subscribed threads list:
    Subscribe to this thread
    Notification Type: No email notification (should be default)
    Folder: Subscriptions (should be default)
    and click Add Subscription​
    You'll basically have to keep doing this to individual threads for a while, but the frequency of doing this will decrease as older threads seldom get posted to.

5. Feb 5, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can change the subscription type for threads in groups of 40 https://www.physicsforums.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription [Broken]: Check the upper right box (in the header of the table, this checks all threads on that page), and change the subscription type (below the table) to "no email notification".

You can remove all subscriptions at once, too, but then you don't have them in the control panel any more.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Feb 5, 2013 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wish I'd known about that 4 years ago :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook